DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

initializing variable in retain statement

Accepted Solution Solved
Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

initializing variable in retain statement

When variables in retain statement are  need to initialize and when not? 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎07-24-2016 06:04 PM
Super User

Re: initializing variable in retain statement

If I need to USE the variable before it is assigned from some other calculation it should be initialized. One very minor example of that would be a counter variable that would need to start at 1000 (or some series range indicator) so that the first time I used Counter +1; the result was 1001 instead of 1.

If the only purpose were to save a value that was calculated or created in the current record for use on the next then initialization likely wouldn't be needed though you might need a Length statement for character variables (always a good idea).

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

That depends on the logic in your data step.
Data never sleeps
Regular Contributor

@LinusH .can you give an example?

Super User

I think your inquiry seems a bit theoretical. It's better if you have an issue that needs to be resolved concerning RETAIN.
Data never sleeps
Regular Contributor

Ok. I will try to come up with one.

Solution
‎07-24-2016 06:04 PM
Super User

If I need to USE the variable before it is assigned from some other calculation it should be initialized. One very minor example of that would be a counter variable that would need to start at 1000 (or some series range indicator) so that the first time I used Counter +1; the result was 1001 instead of 1.

If the only purpose were to save a value that was calculated or created in the current record for use on the next then initialization likely wouldn't be needed though you might need a Length statement for character variables (always a good idea).

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation