BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ps8813
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi iam trying to import 1 xlsx file in SAS studio and there is only 1 sheet 'sheet1'.

Iam using below code:-

proc import datafile='/home/prakashnegi0/test.xlsx' out=test
dbms=excel replace;
getnames=yes;
run;

In dbms i tried Excel,xls,excelcs,csv .. but none are working.

Can any one tell me the correct option here.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Define "not working".

Post the log if errors happen, or show expected and actual results of the import if the import goes through but produces an unexpected result.

glenn_kuly
Calcite | Level 5

You can always use the import data option.

-- Glenn

Ps8813
Fluorite | Level 6
What is import data option?
glenn_kuly
Calcite | Level 5

Look at the 'New Options' drop down menu to the right of search on the top bar.

You can select your Excel file with 'New Import Data,' and automatically create a temporary dataset from your spreadsheet.

-- Glenn

Ps8813
Fluorite | Level 6

ERROR: DBMS type EXCEL not valid for import.

DBMS=xls   :::----

Spreadsheet isn't from Excel V5 or later.  Please open it in Excel and Save as V5 or later

Requested Input File Is Invalid

Ps8813
Fluorite | Level 6
ERROR: DBMS type EXCEL not valid for import.

DBMS=xls :::----

Spreadsheet isn't from Excel V5 or later. Please open it in Excel and Save as V5 or later

Requested Input File Is Invalid.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Do you work with SAS University Edition? Or with SAS installed on a non-Windows server?

If yes, try DBMS=XLSX

Discard the above. I see you have a real home directory, so it's not SAS UE, but SAS on UNIX. DBMS=EXCEL requires Windows, DBMS=XLSX is platform-independent. So use XLSX, as suggested.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

This path name:
'/home/prakashnegi0/test.xlsx' is the type of path that is used on the SAS OnDemand for Academics server....which is a Unix system. I do not believe that DBMS=Excel will work with the OnDemand server -- so yes, it is a real home directory, but it is on a Unix/Linux system, so DBMS=XLSX should be used.

cynthia

prakash8813
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks... dbms=xlsx is working in SAS studio.

But i can't see its aletrnate infile statement. i.e. whenever we run proc import , sas automatically generate its aletrnate infile data step code.

But in this case there is no such infile datastep in log. why so?

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I believe the XLSX engine uses a "back-door" method to communicate directly with Excel for the import. So, thus, no INFILE statement program is needed. That is the take-away I get from reading this BLOG post: http://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2015/05/20/using-libname-xlsx-to-read-and-write-excel-files/

cynthia
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@prakash8813 wrote:

Thanks... dbms=xlsx is working in SAS studio.

But i can't see its aletrnate infile statement. i.e. whenever we run proc import , sas automatically generate its aletrnate infile data step code.

But in this case there is no such infile datastep in log. why so?

The .xlsx format is basically XML (stored with zip compression). SAS can treat that (with the right XML map) like a database, while OTOH directly reading with a datastep would render very complex code (the data has to be read like a stream, and the tags need to be resolved as they come; the data step is best suited for text files that deliver data one line per item)

So, proc import here works as if you defined a libname on the Excel file and read from that, leaving data conversion to the XLSX libname engine.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation