BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Nasser_DRMCP
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

hello,

I have a csv file that holds rates values like 0,04715 or 0,0428. ',' is the decimal separator.

When I load the data by using proc import , the numbers are 4,715 and 428.

Maybe I should do this by using "data ...infile..." but I tried and I did not succed to get the data.

many thanks in advance for your help.

regards

Nasser

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Check your end of line characters.

Read a few records from the file in fixed block mode and check what hex codes are at the end of the lines.

data _null_;
  infile 'myfile.txt' recfm=f lrecl=100 obs=3 ;
  input;
  list;
run;

It might be that you have '0D0A'x at the end of the line and SAS is assuming you are on Unix and expects only '0A'x to mark the end of the line. So the '0D'x becomes part of the data and is an invalid character for a numeric value.

Try adding TERMSTR=CRLF to your infile statement.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
ballardw
Super User

It may help us if you open the CSV file with a text editor such as Notepad or even the SAS Editor  (NOT any spreadsheet) and then paste 2 or 3 lines of the data into a code box opened using the forums {I} menu icon. I recommend this box as the main message window will reformat text.

If there is any sensitive data within that example the replace values as appropriate such as names with XXXX or YYYY and any numeric with something of a similar pattern but with something generic.

Nasser_DRMCP
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
COL1;YEARMONTH;RATE
XXXX;201709;0,04715
XXXX;201710;0,04477
XXXX;201711;0,04477
XXXX;201712;0,04477
XXXX;201801;0,0428
XXXX;201802;0,0428
XXXX;201803;0,0428
XXXX;201804;0,0413

Thanks Ballardw. I copied 8 lines.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

No need to use PROC IMPORT for a file with only three columns.

Use the COMMAX informat to let SAS know to swap the decimal and thousands separators.

data want ;
  infile 'myfile.txt' dsd dlm=';' truncover firstobs=2;
  input COL1 :$20. YEARMONTH_char :$6. RATE :commax. ;
  YEARMONTH= input(yearmonth_char||'01',yymmdd8.);
   format yearmonth yymmn6. ;
run;
Nasser_DRMCP
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks TOM

by using your proposed solution. I succeed to load the 2 first col but the rate is not loaded and I get a warning "

Invalid data for RATE

Reeza
Super User

Can you post the full error from the log, including the line it had the issue with?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Check your end of line characters.

Read a few records from the file in fixed block mode and check what hex codes are at the end of the lines.

data _null_;
  infile 'myfile.txt' recfm=f lrecl=100 obs=3 ;
  input;
  list;
run;

It might be that you have '0D0A'x at the end of the line and SAS is assuming you are on Unix and expects only '0A'x to mark the end of the line. So the '0D'x becomes part of the data and is an invalid character for a numeric value.

Try adding TERMSTR=CRLF to your infile statement.

Nasser_DRMCP
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello,

Thanks to all for your quick responses.

As suggested by Tom, by specifying TERMSTR=CRLF, then It works.

regards

Nasser

Nasser_DRMCP
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello,

I have subsidiary question. I have 20 columns like RATE_1_... RATE_2_... RATE_3...RATE_20

Is it possible to specify :commax. for all columns begins with RATE_ ?

for a column that contains dates like 01/01/2015, I specify :ddmmyy10. but "20089" is loaded ! what is the adequat format ?

thanks for your help

Nasser

Nasser_DRMCP
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello,

I succeed to load the date by specifying

format PERIODE ddmmyy10. ;

Nasser

Nasser_DRMCP
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

hello,

I found the solution for multple columns. the syntax in the input statement is below

(RATE_2007-RATE_2021) (15*:commax.)

Nasser

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@Nasser_DRMCP wrote:

hello,

I found the solution for multple columns. the syntax in the input statement is below

(RATE_2007-RATE_2021) (15*:commax.)

Nasser

Right.  Note that you don't need the 15* as SAS will automatically recycle the list of informats (or formats) when it is shorter than the list of variables.  You could also remove the informat specifications from the INPUT statement and instead add an INFORMAT statement.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Depending on your LOCALE setting you might need to use COMMA informat instead of COMMAX.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation