DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

if vs where

New Contributor

if vs where

Hello, I am a student in a SAS programming class and I was given this problem to examine the difference between the 'WHERE' and 'IF' statements. I am only allowed to edit the datalines in hopes of accomplishing the following guidelines:

Replace​ ​the​ ​gaps​ ​marked​ ​by​ ​triangles​ ​∆1​ ​and ∆2​ ​with​ ​lines​ ​of​ ​data​ ​so​ ​that:

● the​ ​data​ ​sets​ ​DS1​ ​and​ ​DS2​ ​each​ ​have​ ​exactly​ ​four​ ​observations​ ​and​ ​no​ ​missing​ ​values;

● the​ ​data​ ​set​ ​DS_Where​ ​has​ ​exactly​ ​one​ ​observation​ ​for​ ​each​ ​value​ ​w​ ​=​ ​1,​ ​2,​ ​3,​ ​4,​ ​5,​ ​which appear​ ​in​ ​that​ ​order.

● Design​ ​your​ ​data​ ​sets​ ​so​ ​that​ ​the​ ​program’s​ ​output​ ​shows​ ​the​ ​following​ ​properties:

● the​ ​w​ ​=​ ​1​ ​observations​ ​are​ ​identical​ ​in​ ​DS_Where​ ​and​ ​DS_If,​ ​with​ ​no​ ​missing​ ​values;

● the​ ​w​ ​=​ ​2​ ​observations​ ​are​ ​identical​ ​in​ ​DS_Where​ ​and​ ​DS_If,​ ​with​ ​a​ ​missing​ ​value​ ​for​ ​y;

● the​ ​w​ ​=​ ​3​ ​observations​ ​are​ ​identical​ ​in​ ​DS_Where​ ​and​ ​DS_If,​ ​with​ ​a​ ​missing​ ​value​ ​for​ ​z;

● DS_Where​ ​has​ ​a​ ​w​ ​=​ ​4​ ​observation​ ​with​ ​at​ ​least​ ​one​ ​missing​ ​value,​ ​but​ ​the​ ​w​ ​=​ ​4 observation​ ​in​ ​DS_If​ ​has​ ​no​ ​missing​ ​values;

● DS_If​ ​has​ ​no​ ​observation​ ​with​ ​w​ ​=​ ​5. A​ ​copy​ ​of​ ​the​ ​program​ ​(​where_if.sas​)​ ​can​ ​be​ ​downloaded​ ​with​ ​this​ ​assignment​ ​on​ ​Canvas. You​ ​may​ ​not​ ​change​ ​any​ ​aspect​ ​of​ ​the​ ​program​ ​except​ ​for​ ​inserting​ ​data​ ​as​ ​specified​ ​above. Please​ ​turn​ ​in​ ​the​ ​printed​ ​output​ ​on​ ​a​ ​single​ ​page​ ​along​ ​with​ ​a​ ​snippet​ ​of​ ​your​ ​data.

The numbers in the datalines are my current input which yields a 'DS_WHERE' table with the correct output satisfying all the guidelines however, my 'DS_IF' table is missing the values for which 'DS2' has an x<5 and I do not understand how I get the missing value numbers for the 'DS_IF' table. Any help or explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Attachment
New Contributor

Re: if vs where

data DS1;
	input w x y;
	datalines;
1	1	1
2	5	2
3	3	3
4	5	4
5	5	5
;
run;

data DS2;
	input w x z;
	datalines;
1	1	1
2	2	2
3	5	3
4	4	4
5	5	5
;
run;

data DS_Where;
	merge DS1 DS2;
	by w;
	where x<5;
run;

data DS_If;
	merge DS1 DS2;
	by w;
	if x<5;
run;

proc print data=DS1 noobs;
	title "First data set";
run;
proc print data=DS2 noobs;
	title "Second data set";
run;
proc print data=DS_Where noobs;
	title "Merged with WHERE";
run;
proc print data=DS_If noobs;
	title "Merged with IF";
run;

SAS Output
Merged with WHERE

w x y z

Merged with IF

w x y z
Super User
Super User

[ Edited ]

The WHERE statement filters the records that are retrieve from the input datasets.

The IF statement is applied to the current data that is in the data step, so it is applied to the data after it has already been merged.

Make the two subsets first and then merge them to see whey the WHERE dataset has missing values.

Also make the merge without either the WHERE or IF statement and then run a separate step to filter.

Super User

Search lexjansen.com and you’ll find many papers written on this in detail. 

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation