BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rla21602
Calcite | Level 5

Hello, I am a student in a SAS programming class and I was given this problem to examine the difference between the 'WHERE' and 'IF' statements. I am only allowed to edit the datalines in hopes of accomplishing the following guidelines:

Replace​ ​the​ ​gaps​ ​marked​ ​by​ ​triangles​ ​∆1​ ​and ∆2​ ​with​ ​lines​ ​of​ ​data​ ​so​ ​that:

● the​ ​data​ ​sets​ ​DS1​ ​and​ ​DS2​ ​each​ ​have​ ​exactly​ ​four​ ​observations​ ​and​ ​no​ ​missing​ ​values;

● the​ ​data​ ​set​ ​DS_Where​ ​has​ ​exactly​ ​one​ ​observation​ ​for​ ​each​ ​value​ ​w​ ​=​ ​1,​ ​2,​ ​3,​ ​4,​ ​5,​ ​which appear​ ​in​ ​that​ ​order.

● Design​ ​your​ ​data​ ​sets​ ​so​ ​that​ ​the​ ​program’s​ ​output​ ​shows​ ​the​ ​following​ ​properties:

● the​ ​w​ ​=​ ​1​ ​observations​ ​are​ ​identical​ ​in​ ​DS_Where​ ​and​ ​DS_If,​ ​with​ ​no​ ​missing​ ​values;

● the​ ​w​ ​=​ ​2​ ​observations​ ​are​ ​identical​ ​in​ ​DS_Where​ ​and​ ​DS_If,​ ​with​ ​a​ ​missing​ ​value​ ​for​ ​y;

● the​ ​w​ ​=​ ​3​ ​observations​ ​are​ ​identical​ ​in​ ​DS_Where​ ​and​ ​DS_If,​ ​with​ ​a​ ​missing​ ​value​ ​for​ ​z;

● DS_Where​ ​has​ ​a​ ​w​ ​=​ ​4​ ​observation​ ​with​ ​at​ ​least​ ​one​ ​missing​ ​value,​ ​but​ ​the​ ​w​ ​=​ ​4 observation​ ​in​ ​DS_If​ ​has​ ​no​ ​missing​ ​values;

● DS_If​ ​has​ ​no​ ​observation​ ​with​ ​w​ ​=​ ​5. A​ ​copy​ ​of​ ​the​ ​program​ ​(​where_if.sas​)​ ​can​ ​be​ ​downloaded​ ​with​ ​this​ ​assignment​ ​on​ ​Canvas. You​ ​may​ ​not​ ​change​ ​any​ ​aspect​ ​of​ ​the​ ​program​ ​except​ ​for​ ​inserting​ ​data​ ​as​ ​specified​ ​above. Please​ ​turn​ ​in​ ​the​ ​printed​ ​output​ ​on​ ​a​ ​single​ ​page​ ​along​ ​with​ ​a​ ​snippet​ ​of​ ​your​ ​data.

The numbers in the datalines are my current input which yields a 'DS_WHERE' table with the correct output satisfying all the guidelines however, my 'DS_IF' table is missing the values for which 'DS2' has an x<5 and I do not understand how I get the missing value numbers for the 'DS_IF' table. Any help or explanation would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
rla21602
Calcite | Level 5
data DS1;
	input w x y;
	datalines;
1	1	1
2	5	2
3	3	3
4	5	4
5	5	5
;
run;

data DS2;
	input w x z;
	datalines;
1	1	1
2	2	2
3	5	3
4	4	4
5	5	5
;
run;

data DS_Where;
	merge DS1 DS2;
	by w;
	where x<5;
run;

data DS_If;
	merge DS1 DS2;
	by w;
	if x<5;
run;

proc print data=DS1 noobs;
	title "First data set";
run;
proc print data=DS2 noobs;
	title "Second data set";
run;
proc print data=DS_Where noobs;
	title "Merged with WHERE";
run;
proc print data=DS_If noobs;
	title "Merged with IF";
run;

SAS Output
Merged with WHERE

w x y z

Merged with IF

w x y z
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The WHERE statement filters the records that are retrieve from the input datasets.

The IF statement is applied to the current data that is in the data step, so it is applied to the data after it has already been merged.

Make the two subsets first and then merge them to see whey the WHERE dataset has missing values.

Also make the merge without either the WHERE or IF statement and then run a separate step to filter.

Reeza
Super User

Search lexjansen.com and you’ll find many papers written on this in detail. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation