DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

how to suppress PC SAS from appending a .sas to another SAS file

Contributor

how to suppress PC SAS from appending a .sas to another SAS file

On the configuration we are using, if one opens a .sas file using Windows file explorer the file is appended to any other .sas file that was already been open in PC SAS.

Does a setting exist to have PC SAS open the new .sas file in a different tab instead of appending to and corrupting an already open .sas file?
Trusted Advisor

Re: how to suppress PC SAS from appending a .sas to another SAS file

I believe that is standard behavior when you double-click and have OPEN as the default association in Windows, I don't know of a way to open another tab in the PC SAS user interface.

One work-around is to change the windows default to something other than OPEN (say notepad or some other editor) and then you can use the right-click to explicitly send it to PC SAS.

Another approach is to use Enterprise Guide as your SAS user interface (there is a paradigm shift for old-time SAS users, but there are advantages after getting over the short learning curve). Then if you double-click on a filename with the .sas extension, it opens in a new task in EGuide.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke
Contributor

I ran a setinit in our installation and didn't spot an Enterprise Guide.

Most of my co-workers are C and Java folks, I guess they will have to get used to opening .sas programs from PC SAS instead of Windows.
Respected Advisor

I don't know how to get the OPEN behavior to change.

From windows Explorer, to open a file in EE I just drag and drop it into/onto an EE window. The file is opened in EE in a new tab. You can select a number of files and drop them -- all opened in separate EE tabs.

While not what you want perhaps an acceptable alternative.
Trusted Advisor

EGuide doesn't show in the setinit. It is a separate product that provides a GUI user interface to SAS in a client-server framework. I think that it comes bundled with SAS 9 for the PC, but your site rep would know for sure if you have it.
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation