BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JMarkW
Fluorite | Level 6
On the configuration we are using, if one opens a .sas file using Windows file explorer the file is appended to any other .sas file that was already been open in PC SAS.

Does a setting exist to have PC SAS open the new .sas file in a different tab instead of appending to and corrupting an already open .sas file?
4 REPLIES 4
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I believe that is standard behavior when you double-click and have OPEN as the default association in Windows, I don't know of a way to open another tab in the PC SAS user interface.

One work-around is to change the windows default to something other than OPEN (say notepad or some other editor) and then you can use the right-click to explicitly send it to PC SAS.

Another approach is to use Enterprise Guide as your SAS user interface (there is a paradigm shift for old-time SAS users, but there are advantages after getting over the short learning curve). Then if you double-click on a filename with the .sas extension, it opens in a new task in EGuide.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke
JMarkW
Fluorite | Level 6
I ran a setinit in our installation and didn't spot an Enterprise Guide.

Most of my co-workers are C and Java folks, I guess they will have to get used to opening .sas programs from PC SAS instead of Windows.
data_null__
Jade | Level 19
I don't know how to get the OPEN behavior to change.

From windows Explorer, to open a file in EE I just drag and drop it into/onto an EE window. The file is opened in EE in a new tab. You can select a number of files and drop them -- all opened in separate EE tabs.

While not what you want perhaps an acceptable alternative.
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
EGuide doesn't show in the setinit. It is a separate product that provides a GUI user interface to SAS in a client-server framework. I think that it comes bundled with SAS 9 for the PC, but your site rep would know for sure if you have it.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation