BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
LisaYIN9309
Obsidian | Level 7

So this seems very simple but very wired problem has confused me for so long, and it never happened like this before... Here it is:

I am calculating a variable called M_final = 8-(M1+M2+M3+M4+M5+M6+M7+(M8/4)

all M1 to M8 are numerical values, so I would expect M_final be a numerical value as well, also with decimal points (because M8/4), later I will need this M_final to create a character category like HighScore, LowScore

IDM1M2M3M4M5M6M7M8

So my code in data step is (as easy as it is):

M_Score = 8-(M1+M2+M3+M4+M5+M6+M7+(M8/4));

but this is what SAS keeps showing me in Log:

Numeric values have been converted to character values at the places given by:

(Line):(Column).

-> it points to the line above

I am very confused why it happened and how to make it work as it should.

I've tried to use input to force the values back from character to numeric values, but it creates another problem that all decimal points are lost....

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Maybe M_score or M_final already exist as a character variable in your input dataset.

PG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User

One of the variables in your formula is not numeric.

Run a PROC CONTENTS and check the type.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Maybe M_score or M_final already exist as a character variable in your input dataset.

PG
LisaYIN9309
Obsidian | Level 7
I thought about it, but no, M_final / M_score (sorry I keep using them interchangeably) is created rather than already exist
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Please post your full code and log.

LisaYIN9309
Obsidian | Level 7

thanks @Reeza@Shmuel@Shmuel, stupid me, you guys are right. What happened is that I have different dataset from different school for calculation, some of them did have M_score/M_final in the dataset, with all missing character values. I dropped them in set step and re-create M_Score/M_final with calculation.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation