DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

how to create dummy variable from the variable that has a lot different values

Contributor

how to create dummy variable from the variable that has a lot different values

Hi,

I have a variable that consists information about diagnosis (6496 different diagnosis). For each diagnosis i want to create a dummy variable and i used this code:

DATA b2;
  set b;

ARRAY dummys {*} 3.  diag1_1 - diag1_6496;

DO i=1 TO 6496;			      
    dummys(i) = 0;
  END;
  dummys( diag1  ) = 1;		

RUN;

However, I get this error message:

Array subscript out of range at line 2087 column 1.

Can anyone tel me what is wrong with code?

thank you

Super User

Re: how to create dummy variable from the variable that has a lot different values

With such errors, you get a listing of all variables and their values in the log. Look for the value of diag1. It might be zero or missing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
How to convert datasets to data steps
How to post code
PROC Star

Re: how to create dummy variable from the variable that has a lot different values

Obviously, the value of the DIAG1 variable is not always between 1 and 6496. Is it missing or 0 in some observations? What does the log say about the value of DIAG1 when the error occurs?

Super User

Still better: run a proc freq on diag1 and inspect the result.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
How to convert datasets to data steps
How to post code
Contributor

Posted in reply to KurtBremser

Thanks,

There is no 0 or missing values; however, I found what was wrong with code (my values were letters not numbers) and I made it work

Super User
Super User

I would question why you want to do this.  Just take a simple example of having two records:

DIAG

This is two datapoints of information.  If you transpose that into your structure, you would have 6496 datapoints of information.  This is just a simple example of where your intended data structure is very verbose in terms of storage, but you will also find your coding is far harder as well.

Super User

data have;
set sashelp.class;
dummy=1;
run;
proc logistic data=have outdesign=want outdesignonly;
class name/param=glm;
model dummy=name;
run;

proc print data=want(drop=dummy intercept) noobs;run;
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies