BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ZRick
Obsidian | Level 7

I have a variable CPN_DT that is char, length 80 format $80, has following value:

05/21/2010

07/01/2010

03/01/2011

How do I convert it to sas date? I used following, but it doesn't work

cpn_dt = input(trim(cpn_dt),MMDDYY10.);

How can I fix this?

I really wonder why sas read this as char type with length of 80, because I got this variable via proc sql through odbc to oracle database.

why does SAS not recognize this as a mmddyy10. value?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Editor's Note: This topic is very popular! Cynthia's answer below is correct for the original question, helped by responses from @ballardw@data_null__, and others.  SAS Technical Support has also refreshed the SAS Sample: Convert variable values from character to numeric or from numeric to character. with many variations of char->num, char->date, num->char, and more.  If you're just learning, check it out!

In addition, this 9-minute video demonstrates what to do:

Hi:

You would use a variation of data _null_'s example program. Basically, the INPUT function will convert a character string into a number. You need to use an INFORMAT (such as yymmdd10.) in order to instruct SAS how to do the conversion from character to numeric.

cynthia

data testdate;
   length chardate $10;
   infile datalines;
   input chardate $;
   date = input(chardate,yymmdd10.);
return;
datalines;
2011-01-01
1960-01-01
1984-11-29
2013-03-29
;
run;

ods listing;
proc print data=testdate;
  title '1) Internally stored values';
run;

title '2) Using SAS format with dates';
  format date worddate.;
run;

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Well, it seems working for me, please see:

data have;

infile cards;

informat date $80.;

input date ;

cards;

05/21/2010

07/01/2010

03/01/2011

;

data want;

set have;

format _date mmddyy10.;

_date=input(trim(date),MMDDYY10.);

run;

proc print;run;

My suspicion is that you can't just convert char to numeric under the SAME variable name. You have to create another variable to the job, and if you want your old name back, you can always do it using date step options like: drop= rename=.

However, without seeing your code and log, I can be totally off on this one.

Regards,

Haikuo

art297
Opal | Level 21

I would guess that, given its length, it has more than that much extra blank space.  Try:

cpn_dt = input(substr(strip(cpn_dt),1,10),MMDDYY10.);

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Strip() is sufficient.

data _null_;
  length havevar $ 80;
  havevar='          05/21/2010   ';
  wantvar=input(strip(havevar),mmddyy11.);
  put wantvar= date9.;
run;

art297
Opal | Level 21

Patrick, I added the substr function in the event that there are additional characters that strip wouldn't remove.

Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Art,

I just noticed that if we use the same variable name, the variable converted by datastep is a char. variable, by SQL is a numeric variable. Thank you!

data have;

infile cards;

informat cpn_dt $80.;

input cpn_dt ;

cards;

05/21/2010

07/01/2010

03/01/2011

;

data want;

set have;

cpn_dt = input(substr(strip(cpn_dt),1,10),MMDDYY10.);

run;

proc contents data=want;run;

proc sql;

create table want1 as select input(substr(strip(cpn_dt),1,10),MMDDYY10.)

as cpn_dt format mmddyy10.

from have;

quit;

proc contents data=want1;run;

angeli
Calcite | Level 5

Hello All,

I need help converting a character into a numeric. The variable is CHAR 8 and in a format like Jan_09. Do I need to separate all the Months off and assign them a 1-12 value and separate the years and then put them together again.

Kindly assist..from a very new user!

Thanks

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

You can use and INFORMAT to read what I will assume is MONTH and YEAR

data _null_;
   monyy =
'jan_09';
   date = input(monyy,
monyy10.);
   put date=date9.;

run;
angeli
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks! SO then it makes a new variable called date which is in this format: 17898 How do I get this now to a date?

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

The new variable is a SAS Date it is the day offset from from the reference date.  You can display the value with any SAS DATE format.  See online docs.  I used date9 in my example.

angeli
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Data Null!

NN2
Calcite | Level 5 NN2
Calcite | Level 5

if I have a char of  '2011-01-01', how can I convert it to SAS date value and format? thank you.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Editor's Note: This topic is very popular! Cynthia's answer below is correct for the original question, helped by responses from @ballardw@data_null__, and others.  SAS Technical Support has also refreshed the SAS Sample: Convert variable values from character to numeric or from numeric to character. with many variations of char->num, char->date, num->char, and more.  If you're just learning, check it out!

In addition, this 9-minute video demonstrates what to do:

Hi:

You would use a variation of data _null_'s example program. Basically, the INPUT function will convert a character string into a number. You need to use an INFORMAT (such as yymmdd10.) in order to instruct SAS how to do the conversion from character to numeric.

cynthia

data testdate;
   length chardate $10;
   infile datalines;
   input chardate $;
   date = input(chardate,yymmdd10.);
return;
datalines;
2011-01-01
1960-01-01
1984-11-29
2013-03-29
;
run;

ods listing;
  title '1) Internally stored values';
run;

title '2) Using SAS format with dates';
  format date worddate.;
run;

NN2
Calcite | Level 5 NN2
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you, Cynthia.

DebbiBJ
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I found this thread trying to solve a similar problem, but am still not having any luck.  PROC CONTENTS says that my original variables (hepb1b, hepb2b, polio1b, polio2b, etc. are character variables.  They are all dates, and in an array called dates.  I'm trying to convert them to numeric dates (via an array called dates2).

do k=1 to dim(dates);

dates2{k}=input(strip(dates{k}),mmddyy10.);

put _n_= k= dates{k}= dates2{k}=date9.;

end;

But, I get an error message about "format $date was not found..." indicating that, although a PROC PRINT shows SAS date values, they are still character.  What am I doing wrong????

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats