BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
dshills
Calcite | Level 5

Hi there

I have quarterly data on firms in each state in a country. The data consists of individual files for each state and each quarter from 1980 to 2005. There are 6 variables of interest in each file - STATENAME, FIRMID, YR_QTR, EMPL1, EMPL2, EMPL3 and several 100 variables that I am not interested in. I want to sum the employment in each quarter (EMPL1 EMPL2 EMPL3) and find the first date of non-zero employment for each firm. I am using PROC APPEND for now to create a combined dataset for each state and then identifying the first non-zero employment for each firm.

Is there a more efficient way to program this without creating a large dataset? Any help with the code would be much appreciated.c

Thanks

Dana

1 REPLY 1
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Yes! Summarise each table, and *then* append the summaries where employment is non-zero.

Something like

%macro loop;

%do year=1980 %to 2005;

%do qtr=1 %to 4;

proc summary data=DATA_&year.Q&qtr. nway;

id YR_QTR;

class STATENAME FIRMID;

var EMPL1 EMPL2 EMPL3 ;

output out=SUM_&year.Q&qtr. sum=;

run;

%end;

%end;

data WANT;

set

%do year=1980 %to 2005;

%do qtr=1 %to 4;

&SUM_&year.Q&qtr.

%end;

%end;

;

where EMPL1 & EMPL2 & EMPL3;

by YR_QTR STATENAME FIRMID;

... more logic

run;

%mend;

%loop;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation