BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tparvaiz
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I have a code that's using week number of the month as constant and every time I have to change it manually.

is there  a way to automate it, for example, it I am running the code today (may 18, 2017) then the value of week should automatically set to 3

%let week = 3;

Please advise

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

use the data step and call symputx if you must have a macro variable.

If you don't know the proper syntax to call datastep functions such as WEEK, INTNX then time to review basic macro language.

Since the "macro" version for this

%let week = week(today()) - week((intnx('month',today(),0,'B'))) +1;

would require using 5 calls to the macro function %sysfunc() and nested up to 3 levels that line would get VERY UGLY and getting all the () to match is a headach.

Easier

data _null_;

week = week(today()) - week((intnx('month',today(),0,'B'))) +1;

call symputx('week',week);

run;

Plus if end up needing other moderately complicated macro variables built then they may all go into the same data step.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
ballardw
Super User

With week you have to be very explicit about how you define a week number.

Do you mean from day 1 to day 7 of the month regardless of which day of the week the month starts?

If the day of the week it starts on is important then what day does the week start, Sunday, Monday, Saturday something else?

If the week starts on sunday and the first day of the month is a saturday day which week does it belong to?

Is there a minimum number of days to consider as a week?

Note that if May starts on a Friday then 18 May would be in a week with the 4th Friday of the month.

With all that in mind consider:

data example;
   mydate = '18MAY2017'd;
   myweek = week(mydate) - week((intnx('month',mydate,0,'B'))) +1;
   put mydate= date9. myweek=;
run;

The +1 above is needed because the subtraction (or the intck WEEK function) returns intervals and you want the number.

tparvaiz
Obsidian | Level 7

I tried following and it failed

maybe its not the way to define a variable.

Thanks

ballardw
Super User

use the data step and call symputx if you must have a macro variable.

If you don't know the proper syntax to call datastep functions such as WEEK, INTNX then time to review basic macro language.

Since the "macro" version for this

would require using 5 calls to the macro function %sysfunc() and nested up to 3 levels that line would get VERY UGLY and getting all the () to match is a headach.

Easier

data _null_;

week = week(today()) - week((intnx('month',today(),0,'B'))) +1;

call symputx('week',week);

run;

Plus if end up needing other moderately complicated macro variables built then they may all go into the same data step.

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

If you want macro code only,

%put week = %eval( %sysfunc(week(%sysfunc(today()))) + 1  
                 - %sysfunc(week(%sysfunc(intnx(month,%sysfunc(today()),0,B)))) );

Reeza
Super User

@tparvaiz You never stated how you define a week. 

One quick and dirty way is to take the day of month and divide by 7 and either round it up or down depending on your rules. 

data _null_;
    day=day(today());
    week_ceil=ceil(day/7);
    week_floor=floor(day/7);
    call symputx('week_ceil', week_ceil);
    call symputx('week_floor', week_floor);
run;

%put Week (Rounded up): &week_ceil.;
%put Week (Rounded down): &week_floor.;

OUTPUT:

66         %put Week (Rounded up): &week_ceil.;
 Week (Rounded up): 3
 67         %put Week (Rounded down): &week_floor.;
 Week (Rounded down): 2
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I concur with what the others said.

NEVER, EVER do such a complex calculation directly in the %let macro statement. Use a data _null_ step and call symput or call symputx.

Part of Maxim 11.

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

@Kurt_Bremser  I disagree. Purely macro routines, without any L4G, can be called anywhere and are more useful than routines containing statements. Hence my for example this request

Astounding
PROC Star

Remember macro language %EVAL function performs integer arithmetic automatically.  Have you tried:

%let week = %eval(("&sysdate9"d + 6) / 7);

I think +6 in the formula is right, but you might need to play with it.

And I can't test right now whether %EVAL will recognize a date literal, but it might.

Ksharp
Super User
%let week=%eval(%sysfunc(intck(week,%sysfunc(intnx(month,%sysfunc(today()),0)) ,%sysfunc(today())))+1);
%put &week ;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 7 in conversation