BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Nieves
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

I want to append n datasets data_1 ... data_n, which have no systematic pattern in the dataset name, and create a new data set data_final. Besides appending one by one, is there any other method to append one time?

Thanks  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

@RW9 - it was said that "which have no systematic pattern in the dataset name".

@Nieves - as "All the data are from the same library" and assuming you want all of them then

you can create the list of datasets names by:

data _null_;
set sashelp.vmember (where=(libname=<uppercase libref>)) end=eof;
lengt list_names $200; /* addapt length as need */
retain list_names ' ';
list_names = catx(' ',list_names,memname);
if eof then call symput('list_names', trim(list_names));
run;
data final;
set &list_names;
run;

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

What about:

data final;
  set data1 data2 data3 .....datan;
run;

If those datasets are all in one library and the only one (no other datasets in it) or

if you have any criterion to identify and select them from a greater list, then you can select the list 

from sql dictionary.rables or from sashelp.tables, assign the list in sas macro variable (using symput function) and use it as:

data final;
 set &list_names;
run;
Nieves
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Shmuel,

Thanks for your advice. All the data are from the same library and in the same folder. in this case, is macro still needed?

Thanks

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Please give some specific examples (datastesps in a code window - {i} above post) for clarification.  From what you have posted:

data want;
  set data_:;
run;

Will set all datasets with prefix data_ in work together, assuming they are all the same structure.  

Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

@RW9 - it was said that "which have no systematic pattern in the dataset name".

@Nieves - as "All the data are from the same library" and assuming you want all of them then

you can create the list of datasets names by:

data _null_;
set sashelp.vmember (where=(libname=<uppercase libref>)) end=eof;
lengt list_names $200; /* addapt length as need */
retain list_names ' ';
list_names = catx(' ',list_names,memname);
if eof then call symput('list_names', trim(list_names));
run;
data final;
set &list_names;
run;
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Sorry but I had a bug - the proc sql entered only first member to the list.

I have edited my code and replaced the sql with a data step, half tested.

I hope this time it will realy give you the desired solution.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Yes, I saw that and its why asked for specific examples rather than the generic approach which would result in the answer I gave.  

If they are all the same structure then why are they split up in the first place - sounds like an issue further up the line not using by groups or such like.

If they are not the same structure, which different names would indicate, then they wouldn't set together well (i.e differing attributes), and in which case your answer would be used (although maybe consider proc append rather than datastep).

Nieves
Quartz | Level 8

My data has the same structure inside (no of columns and names of variables) but I do not properly name all the datasets in a systematic way. Since each dataset is named after a ticker, I include all datasets in one folder. 

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Two good tips for the future then which will make your coding simpler and easy to maintain.  Use by groups rather than splitting data up and then looping over it - by group processing is quicker and inbuilt into SAS, for instance I could create datasets from proc means to output to a new dataset for each variable and call the dataset variable name - ending up with N number of datasets all having the same structure and differing names - causes more work down the line, or I could transpose the data, then do the proc means with by _name_, thus having one dataset with all the data in there, no looping.

If you have to have multiple repeating data, then its always a good idea to use prefixN, much the same with variables, using prefixN makes coding easier.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 3 in conversation