DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

how do i mask a statement

Frequent Contributor

how do i mask a statement

I have a footnote "%s: percentage of successful attempts".

if i use %nrstr(&footnote.) where footnote sontains "%nrstr(&footnote.)"

i get the following warning.

WARNING: Apparent invocation of macro S not resolved.

How can i mask this

Super User

Re: how do i mask a statement

[ Edited ]

Use single quotes instead of double is a quick way.

In single quotes SAS won't try and resolve the macro, in double quotes it would. If you also needed to include a macro variable in your footnote this wouldn't work. 

Frequent Contributor

It was not in quotes for example:

%put footnote           = <%nrstr(&footnote.)>;

Super User
Super User

So, can you provide some example of what it is your doing.  Why have the footnote in a macro variable, normally there would be lots of footnotes, so easier to store them in a dataset, then call it from there:

data _null_;
  set footnotes;
  call execute(cat('footnote',strip(put(_n_,best.)),' j=l "',strip(footnote),'";'));
run;
Frequent Contributor

I have a dataset which has all footnotes for each table and importing the dataset for each particular program and calling them

call symput('footnote',%nrbquote(strip(footnote))); in the datastep then i am using %put footnote           = <%nrbquote(&footnote.)>; 

Super User
Super User

Yes, so you could try the datastep I provided above, to simply generate the statements from the datastep - avoid all the macro variables and other processing.

Super User
Super User

Can you post actual SAs code that replicates the error message?  It is unclear if you are talking about the FOOTNOTE statement or the creation of a macro variable named FOOTNOTE or expanding the reference to a macro varaible named FOOTNOTE.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation