BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
cellurl
Quartz | Level 8

I need todays date in a macro variable like that.

Thanks!

I tried yymmdd8. but it came out like mmddyy8.  (per chart below...)

Untitled.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
collinelliot
Barite | Level 11

%let todaysDate = %sysfunc(today(), yymmddn8.);
%put &todaysDate;

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
collinelliot
Barite | Level 11

%let todaysDate = %sysfunc(today(), yymmddn8.);
%put &todaysDate;

Reeza
Super User

You can also look into &SYSDATE which is an automatic macro variable. Depending on how you're submitting a job, this may or may not be helpful.

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/mcrolref/69726/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n08zfkx3lmiagpn11...

cellurl
Quartz | Level 8

i was hoping for a solution of this variety (which doesn't work...)

After 5 years of sas work, I am still clueless on dates.....

data _null_;

format dt mmddyy10.;

dt= date();

call symput('dt',trim(left(input(dt,mmddyy10.)));

run;

%put &dt;

run;

Reeza
Super User

Dates are numbers. To convert it to a character, use PUT with the format you'd like it to appear with. 

Your solution was overcomplicated. Here's the simplified version, note I'm using CALL SYMPUTX() to create a global macro variable with no trailing spaces.

data _null_;
   call symputx('dt',put(date(),mmddyy10.), 'g');
run;

%put &dt;
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

What format you have attached to the variable doesn't matter, in fact you do not even need to create a variable. You want to use PUT() function to convert a value to a character string not the INPUT() function. The INPUT() function is for converting character strings into stored values.  It is easy to remember if you think of the PUT and INPUT statements that are used to write and read characters from text files.

You can use the DATE() function (or its alias today()) to get the date when the statement runs.

data _null_;
   call symputx('dt',put(date(),yymmddn8.));
run;

or you can use the automatic macro variable SYSDATE9 to get the date when the program started (which might be yesterday or even earlier if you have a long runnning job).

data _null_;
   call symputx('dt',put("&sysdate9"d,yymmddn8.));
run;

cellurl
Quartz | Level 8

thanks, i used your first one.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 4 in conversation