BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
azee007
Calcite | Level 5

I am trying to find a word with .Character string 'with' in the title and is zero if there is no first occurrence of 'with' in the text.Moreover, I dont want WITH or WitH type of words.  I am using the following code. I am not getting proper output. It is not giving me the numeric value of with in the title or text. Hope to hear suggestions. 

data want;

set have;

length firstwith 4;
firstwith = (findw(lowcase(string),'with')>0);
run;

1 REPLY 1
Reeza
Super User

You're close. 

Your function appears correct, but you don't need the > 0 portion. That turns it into a true/false calculation rather than returning the index. 

You also shouldn't apply lowcase if your test is case sensitive. And since you're searching for a word, use FINDW()

Index_with = findw(string, 'with');

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation