BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Aar684
Calcite | Level 5
Hi all,

I have a csv dataset that includes an account number, a date, and 24 hours of data per day. Each row contains one day of a month of the year. All account numbers have 365 days.

So the sample data set is as follows:

account# date hour1 hour2 hour3 ...............hour24

There are around 50 account numbers in the data set totaling somewhere in the range of 4000 or so rows. I need to find the maximum value by MONTH and return that value for each account number for each month. So, in the end I will have 12 max values for each account number. HELP! PLEASE. The code, minus the import that I have so far is as follows :

data usagesum;
set kva end = eof;
retain maxuse;
month = month(date);
if (day(date) = 1) and not (_n_ = 1) then do;
maxuse=0;
end;
maxuse= max(of hour1 - hour24);
if last.account or month ne month(date+1) then output;
run;

I am getting the max but not of the entire month. Message was edited by: Aar684
8 REPLIES 8
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
You are using what's called "BY GROUP PROCESSING" -- the FIRST. and/or LAST. must also include a BY statement. So, you will need to derive all variables, sort the data, then have a DATA step with your max-value derivation logic.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

Recommended Google advanced search argument, this topic/post:

by group processing site:sas.com
Aar684
Calcite | Level 5
Very confusing. Is my max-value derivation logic even remotely correct?
Aar684
Calcite | Level 5
Scott,

I am sorry. My knowledge is very basic. I was getting help from someone here who isn't available to me at the moment. I am lost, but would like to learn. Unfortunately I have a tight time constraint. Am I any where near where I need to be?
Flip
Fluorite | Level 6
You are missing the BY ACCOUNT MONTH;
statement after the SET statement.
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Yes, you are close, but your MONTH derivation code must be in a separate DATA step. You cannot have a SET with a BY where the variable is not yet derived -- that's why you need multiple DATA steps -- suggest adding a SORT as mentioned.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Try changing the third from the last line from
maxuse= max(of hour1 - hour24);
to
maxuse= max(of maxuse hour1 - hour24);
. That should include the max from the previous records in the month.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke [This is in addition to Scott's comments.]

Message was edited by: Doc@Duke
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
OK. You were close. I think you can actually do this without BY-group processing; my code is not tested. :

PROC SORT DATA=kva; BY account date; RUN;
* assumes dates are SAS dates, not text strings;

data usagesum;
set kva; * end = eof; * end not needed.;
retain maxuse;
month = month(date);
if (day(date) = 1) /* and not (_n_ = 1) */ then do; * RETAINed variables initialized to 0 for _N_=1 already.;
maxuse=0;
end;
maxuse= max(of MAXUSE hour1 - hour24); * added maxuse to accumulate through the month.;
PUT account date maxuse; * debugging code to see if the accumulatior is working;
if /* last.account or */ month ne month(date+1) then output; * "last" not needed.;
run;

Give this a try and see where you get.

Doc

Message was edited by: Doc@Duke Message was edited by: Doc@Duke
Aar684
Calcite | Level 5
Ok guys. Trying your suggestions and will report back. Didn't have a chance to look at this again as I was out sick. I am going to plugging away today. Thanks all.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation