BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
iren_118
Calcite | Level 5

do not have much idea about SAS/AF. did do something in SAS.

It is said SAS/AF can help me to connect all my work(programs .macros ...) into a visual application.

teach me how to start . is there a ready sas application for it?

-bai

12 REPLIES 12
Reeza
Super User

What do you mean by visual application?

Have you looked at SAS EG?

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

If it's for personal use, chances are that Enterprise Guide is your application, as Reeza suggests.

If it's for end users, there's a lot of other options available, but as for today, none of them is SAS/AF. Its' considered yesterdays technology.

Data never sleeps
iren_118
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks to both of you.

I have a lot of SAS programs include macro calling chains wanted to connect them to one applications to present.

Am so dumb even felt hard to start trying AF. So I opened this new topic and tagged feeling hard to track all useful info in this site.

Did answered Reeza from my work email but it is not shown here. Should do discussion right here.

Did not realize his EG was Enterprise Guide. Every user has that.

What are the new technology for this purpose, LinuseH?

On SAS Command line I invoked SAS/EIS. it looked a possible candidate.

did not use it either before.

Thanks again,

-Bai

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

EIS is similar to AF, but does not require programming. But again, outdated.

I'm still not clear on what your requirements are?

There are tons of ways of building end user applications. If you got existing program that you wish to reuse, probably building a web based application using SAS Stored Process is the best choice.

Data never sleeps
iren_118
Calcite | Level 5

Just imagined using clicks and manuals and pull-sown dialogs and such to get  whole of my works covered.

Prefer the tools within SAS over the web technology.

Browsed the groups here in the SAS community we do have those groups.

-bai

Reeza
Super User

Do you have a server? If so EG can incorporate those options of clicks/pull down dialogs.

iren_118
Calcite | Level 5

no server. just am a individually licensed user. individually installed. do not know I am 'full' or not.

-bai

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I suspect that means you have a "full" installation of SAS on your desktop then. If you can interact with SAS via Display Manager (the SAS start icon is an upside down pyramid)  then you have a full install which means SAS/AF and SAS/EIS will function if licensed and installed.

Other options with this are the SAS WINDOW statement available in Base SAS and %WINDOW macro statement. Legacy technology it might be but it does mean you don't need or have to learn to use non-SAS technology.

iren_118
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks, SASKiwi,

Will try Windows statement in Base SAS and Macro.

I am not sure what you meant by ‘interacting with SAS Display
Manager’. In my case of installed SAS 9.2 it always displays. I can see the SAS
icon, upside down triangle all the time. There are Editor, log, output…
windows  in the sight all the time. Maybe there is a edition of SAS as in
Version 6 that you enter statements under DOS prompt?

-Bai

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

So you are the user who wish to use your own programs?

Can't see an easy way to build an application for you needs, it can be done, but will probably cost you more time and effort thanyou are using to find, open and execute the program you have today...?

Yes, you are using SAS Display Manager (DMS), a so called "fat client" (opposed to thin client usually is accessed via the web browser).

An alternative here is that are explorer/folder functionality within DMS SAS, where you can place icons with short cuts to programs etc.

Data never sleeps
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Worth pointing out that SAS/AF and SAS/EIS only work if you have a "full" client SAS install on your desktop/laptop. If you only have EG working to a remote server as is often the case these days, then AF and EIS won't work.

Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Are you looking to review code or launch it?

The viewer I like  (in sas display manager DMS) is FSLIST window (open it with command fslist * then provide a path )

The SAS file explorers are also effective in EG as well as in DMS

Neither of these allow you to drill through to sub-programs essily.

I think that is where your app (I'd buy one for my android) could de-code your syntax to recognise the hierarchy of your macro calls and/or %include calls and turn these into hyperlinks

Should you want a launcher, have a look at the data step debugger for an example of starting programs by jumping to specific line numbers. it's not simple and not feasible in EG

Perhaps your objectives are simpler.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation