data TEST;
	call streaminit(123);
do i=1 to 20;
	ranuni=ranuni(123);
	rand=RAND('UNIFORM');
	output;
end;
run;

The question is : I expected to get the same values for ranuni and rand functions.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
2 weeks ago
Trusted Advisor

Re: generation random numbers

The RAND function uses a different random number generator (the so called Mersenne-Twister) than the RANUNI function (and other functions of this family, i.e. RANNOR, RANPOI etc.), hence the different results. Due to the good statistical properties of that Mersenne-Twister random number generator, the RAND function is preferable over the older random number functions such as RANUNI.

For more details please see Rick Wicklin's blog article "Six reasons you should stop using the RANUNI function to generate random numbers".

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
2 weeks ago
Trusted Advisor

The RAND function uses a different random number generator (the so called Mersenne-Twister) than the RANUNI function (and other functions of this family, i.e. RANNOR, RANPOI etc.), hence the different results. Due to the good statistical properties of that Mersenne-Twister random number generator, the RAND function is preferable over the older random number functions such as RANUNI.

For more details please see Rick Wicklin's blog article "Six reasons you should stop using the RANUNI function to generate random numbers".

Super User

@Rick_SAS wrote a blog about it before. 

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation