DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

filename FTP: limit on number of records transferred

N/A

filename FTP: limit on number of records transferred

hi Cynthia,

I am using filename FTP statement in a SAS program to upload files to a server; So far the files were small, like 30-150 records and it went smoothly;

Now I had to load a file with 2700 records (size 42kb), and the file was not uploaded; The process tries to upload, and then nothing happens, even after after 30-40 minutes; I had to terminate the program;

I am using SAS 9.1.3 on Windows XP;

I was able to upload the same file using DOS based FTP commands though;

So, I was wondering if filename FTP has any limitations?..I was not able to find this information any where, please comment;

thanks in advance;
Shankar
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: filename FTP: limit on number of records transferred

Posted in reply to deleted_user
No FILENAME with FTP engine limitations that I have experienced. Also, the file size you mentioned is not very large. I use SAS FTP processes with many gigabytes of data, regularly between different OS platforms.

Share the code you are using for additional insight.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
N/A

hi Scott, thanks for the reply;

After further investigation now I feel the issue is not the file size but the server itself;

The server in question is Bloomberg, and the files I am uploading are request files for securities; If it takes more than 15sec for uploading Bloomberg closes the connection;

From 7 EST onwards I was able to upload files of up to 3000 records; however after certain number of records more time is needed to upload, and Bloomberg gives a message:

NOTE: <<< 550 Cannot connect to 208.11.8.3:49335 - Error 0.

I am looking for ways to increase the speed of upload, I tried BLOCKSIZE option in filename FTP statement but it had no impact;

Another solution on cards is splitting the file into 2-3 files, but that would be last resort;

Could you please tell me about how much time it takes for you to upload those large multi gigabyte files?
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Posted in reply to deleted_user
Each FTP server environment may be different. There are numerous Internet discussion groups you can find information about ftp performance on Google Groups, at http://groups.google.com/

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation