BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
hi Cynthia,

I am using filename FTP statement in a SAS program to upload files to a server; So far the files were small, like 30-150 records and it went smoothly;

Now I had to load a file with 2700 records (size 42kb), and the file was not uploaded; The process tries to upload, and then nothing happens, even after after 30-40 minutes; I had to terminate the program;

I am using SAS 9.1.3 on Windows XP;

I was able to upload the same file using DOS based FTP commands though;

So, I was wondering if filename FTP has any limitations?..I was not able to find this information any where, please comment;

thanks in advance;
Shankar
3 REPLIES 3
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
No FILENAME with FTP engine limitations that I have experienced. Also, the file size you mentioned is not very large. I use SAS FTP processes with many gigabytes of data, regularly between different OS platforms.

Share the code you are using for additional insight.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
deleted_user
Not applicable
hi Scott, thanks for the reply;

After further investigation now I feel the issue is not the file size but the server itself;

The server in question is Bloomberg, and the files I am uploading are request files for securities; If it takes more than 15sec for uploading Bloomberg closes the connection;

From 7 EST onwards I was able to upload files of up to 3000 records; however after certain number of records more time is needed to upload, and Bloomberg gives a message:

NOTE: <<< 550 Cannot connect to 208.11.8.3:49335 - Error 0.

I am looking for ways to increase the speed of upload, I tried BLOCKSIZE option in filename FTP statement but it had no impact;

Another solution on cards is splitting the file into 2-3 files, but that would be last resort;

Could you please tell me about how much time it takes for you to upload those large multi gigabyte files?
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Each FTP server environment may be different. There are numerous Internet discussion groups you can find information about ftp performance on Google Groups, at http://groups.google.com/

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation