Not applicable
Hi, I tried to use Proc Import to get some data from Excel. here's my code:
proc import
out=imrcomplete
datafile= "c:/my data/IMR.xls"
dbms=xls replace;
sheet = 'IMR';
run;
ERROR: Physical file does not exist, /local/sso/academics/prod/biconfig/Lev1/SASApp/data.IMR.xls.

Does that mean i didn't assign a library or something.
please help!
Mandy
2 REPLIES 2
Ksharp
Super User
The code should be like ?
sheet = 'IMR$';
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I notice 2 things about the error message:
[pre]
ERROR: Physical file does not exist, /local/sso/academics/prod/biconfig/Lev1/SASApp/data.IMR.xls.
[/pre]

The fact that your location specified in the code was "c:\my data\IMR.xls and the fact that the ERROR referred to a biconfig\Lev1\SASApp location.

This implies several possibilities to me:
1) you are using SAS Enterprise Guide, which accesses SAS on the server and in this particular scenario, the server on which SAS is running has no visibility of your local C: drive.
2) you are using a BI Platform (or SAS Enterprise Intelligence Platform) configuration, in which security and data access is handled by the Metadata repository. Again, in this particular scenario, the platform server (SASApp) on which SAS is running has no visibility of your local C: drive.

Depending on which version of the Enterprise Intelligence platform you are running, you may need to upload your .XLS file to a location on the server which is accessible to SAS. This means that the DATAFILE= option would no longer be a local C: drive location. This will probably involve the help of your SAS administrator to ensure that 1) you have a directory assigned to which you have write access on the server and 2) you have sufficient authority and authorization privileges to write to that location on the server and 3) you will have to know that location on the server in order to specify the correct DATAFILE= option.

Also, you might want to reconsider the use of the WORK library as the location for the place to store your SAS dataset IMRCOMPLETE -- if your SAS Administrator will allocate a library to you, in the Metadata, you could then write to a permanent library, so the dataset IMRCOMPLETE will be available to you in subsequent EG sessions.

I believe that in some versions of SAS EG, there is a way to upload local files to the SAS servers, you might want to check with your SAS Administrator or Tech Support about which version of EG and how to accomplish this task.

cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation