BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rykwong
Quartz | Level 8

Dear friends at SAS community

I have a dataset that has 4000 observations.

In this dataset, I have a variable var1 which contains text data like this"[123/121/324/345]".  I need to extract the numbers as separate numeric variables.  For any observation, there can be up to 30 numbers in var1 that I need to extract:

so I am trying to extract new1=123, new2=121, new3=324 and new4=345.   I tried the following code:

new1=scan(compress(var1, '[]'),1,'/');

new2=scan(compress(var1, '[]'),2,'/');

new3=scan(compress(var1, '[]'),3,'/');

new4=scan(compress(var1, '[]'),4,'/');

but the results do not seem correct.  The last number is missing and never extracted.  Also, when an observation only has one number in var1, e.g. var1="[123]", new1 is missing rather than 123 that I want to have.  

so for var1="[123/121/324/345]"; I got new1=123, new2=121, new3=324, new4=. when I want new4=345

for var1="[123]", I got new1=. when I want new1=123

any thoughts of a solution?

thanks 

Raymond

4 REPLIES 4
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

data w;
k="[123/121/324/345]";
k1=compress(k,'[]');
do _n_=1 to countw(k1);
num=scan(k1,_n_,'/');
output;
end;
drop k1;
run;

data w;
k="[123/121/324/345]";
k1=compress(k,'[]');
do _n_=1 to countw(k1);
num=scan(k1,_n_,'/');
output;
end;
drop k1;
run;
rykwong
Quartz | Level 8

dear novinosrin,

thanks so much for your help.  one of such "var1" variables is cardiac_nuclear_tests_year so I ran the code below

data w;
k1=compress(cardiac_nuclear_tests_year,'[]');
do _n_=1 to countw(k1);
num=scan(k1,_n_,'/');
output;
end;
drop k1;
run;

I am still having problems, because this code puts num in a long format, instead of as separate variables year1, year2....year5.  Also other than cardiac_nuclear_tests_year, I have 10 other similar variables to extract from.   Any other thought?  many thanks 

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20
data w;
k="[123/121/324/345]";
k1=compress(k,'[]');
grp=0;
do _n_=1 to countw(k1);
num=scan(k1,_n_,'/');
grp+1;
output;
end;
drop k1;
run;

proc transpose data=w out=want prefix=year;
by k;
var num;
id grp;
run;
ballardw
Super User

@rykwong wrote:

dear novinosrin,

thanks so much for your help.  one of such "var1" variables is cardiac_nuclear_tests_year so I ran the code below

data w; k1=compress(cardiac_nuclear_tests_year,'[]'); do _n_=1 to countw(k1); num=scan(k1,_n_,'/'); output; end; drop k1; run;

I am still having problems, because this code puts num in a long format, instead of as separate variables year1, year2....year5.  Also other than cardiac_nuclear_tests_year, I have 10 other similar variables to extract from.   Any other thought?  many thanks 

Perhaps:

data w;
   set have;
   k1=compress(cardiac_nuclear_tests_year,'[]');
   array num{30};
   do i=1 to countw(k1);
      num[i]=scan(k1,i,'/');
   end;
   drop k1 i;
run;

I consider creating a variable _n_ to be suboptimal as SAS has an automatic variable _n_ that indicates the iteration of the data step and could 1) be confusing in code and 2) mess up the count if needed.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation