BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Marty
Calcite | Level 5

I am using dopen and dread to look at all of the files and directories in a particular directory structure, but dopen is failing to open directories whose names contain embedded spaces.

I'm running SAS 9.3 on a unix platform, and have escaped the spaces using the backslash (\) character, so a a directory named 'older mapping docs' is referred to as 'older\ mapping\ docs'.

The filename function to assign a fileref to the directory gives a zero (successful) return code, but when I try to use dopen to open the directory, the DID (directory ID) returned is 0, meaning the operation failed.

Any suggestions for working around this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TimB_SAS
SAS Employee

You should be able to do this without needing to escape the space.  This works correctly for me:

data _null_ ;

rc=filename('mydir', "$HOME/space dir") ;

put rc=;

did=dopen('mydir') ;

put did=;

run ;

LOG:

1   data _null_ ;
2   rc=filename('mydir', "$HOME/space dir") ;
3   put rc=;
4   did=dopen('mydir') ;
5   put did=;
6   run ;

rc=0
did=1

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TimB_SAS
SAS Employee

You should be able to do this without needing to escape the space.  This works correctly for me:

data _null_ ;

rc=filename('mydir', "$HOME/space dir") ;

put rc=;

did=dopen('mydir') ;

put did=;

run ;

LOG:

1   data _null_ ;
2   rc=filename('mydir', "$HOME/space dir") ;
3   put rc=;
4   did=dopen('mydir') ;
5   put did=;
6   run ;

rc=0
did=1

Marty
Calcite | Level 5

I'm using %sysfunc to open and read the directories using macro code.

my initial code did not escape the spaces, but was not working.

I have just experimented with using %nrbquote to preserve the spaces in the macro variables, and that does seem to work - thanks!

LOG excerpt:

9                %let _dirpath=%nrbquote(/data/hdi/supptbls/wlp_edwardlz/0003_201105/medmgmt/older mapping docs);

10               %let rc=%sysfunc(filename(filrf2,%nrbquote(&_dirpath)));

11               %put rc=&rc;

rc=0

12               %let _did2=%sysfunc(dopen(&&filrf2));

13               %put _did2=&_did2;

_did2=2

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I think it is because you are passing the wrong parameter value into the DOPEN call because of an extra &.

The FILENAME function call will either use the filename in the macro variable FILRF2 (or if it is empty it will make up a name and set FILRF2 to the new name).  So in the call to DOPEN you should be passing the value of FILRF2.

%let dsid=%sysfunc(dopen(&FILRF2));

Marty
Calcite | Level 5

Sorry - that was a typo from simplifying my example. I had a double ampersand because the number at the end of the filrf variable name is being calculated, so the field reference was &&filrf&fnbr.

The log from the corrected test code is:

9                %let _dirpath=%nrbquote(/data/hdi/supptbls/wlp_edwardlz/0003_201105/medmgmt/older mapping docs);

10               %let rc=%sysfunc(filename(filrf2,%nrbquote(&_dirpath)));

11               %put rc=&rc;

rc=0

12               %let _did2=%sysfunc(dopen(&filrf2));

13               %put _did2=&_did2;

_did2=2

This is working - thanks again.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation