DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

dictionary.formats

Valued Guide

dictionary.formats

Hi

dictionary.formats (aka sashelp.vformat) provides more than just a (very) useful list of (in-)formats. It also indicates min/max/default widths for each format.

A very neat feature is that it includes all user formats (within the visibility defined by the system option FMTSEARCH).

I just noticed that the only examples of user defined formats I have checked, do not provide the min/max/default widths - just zero.

Is this something I don't understand, or a defect to refer to SAS Support?

PeterC
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: dictionary.formats

If you can get the information when you do a CNTLOUT= or PRINT/FMTLIB option to display the contents of a user format, I would say that you should see the equivalent information from the DICTIONARY / SASHELP perspective, as well. My own test revealed the same symptom you reported, for both SAS 9.1.3 and 9.2. Sounds like a SAS support track opportunity - go for it!

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
Valued Guide

Since I have never actually needed these values it never bothered me sufficiently to ask. Certainly the information is available, we see it when we use the CNTLOUT. The MIN= and MAX= options (on the VALUE and INVALUE statements) have some effect on the stored min/max values (as shown by the CNTLOUT), but not on those seen in the VIEWs.
Valued Guide

These values are available, so I'll get them together. It is just less convenient.

Brought tegether, the information provides the foundation of a nice demo of what a format might provide and how width on the format influences the result.
For the built-in formats, there are some interesting variations, but only truncation on the user-defined formats I've checked so far.

When finished, it'll make a nice short paper-type demo.
Peter
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation