BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
buechler66
Barite | Level 11

I run the same code at the beginning of my program and at the end. Basically I want a datetime stamp of when it starts and one for when it ends. I'm getting odd results tho. The datetime at the end of my program is actually earlier then the datetime at the beginning of my program. What am I missing here?

4    /*  Datetime stamp of program start */
5        data _null_;
6            dt_stamp = DATETIME();
7            PUT 'Progam Started: ' dt_stamp datetime20.;
8        run;

Progam Started:   05OCT2016:15:37:25
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
      real time           0.03 seconds
      user cpu time       0.00 seconds
      system cpu time     0.04 seconds
      memory              179.07k
      OS Memory           7556.00k
      Timestamp           10/05/2016 03:37:24 PM

987   /*  Datetime stamp of program stop */
988   data _null_;
989       dt_stamp = DATETIME();
990       PUT 'Progam Stopped: ' dt_stamp datetime20.;
991   run;

Progam Stopped:   05OCT2016:15:19:34
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
      real time           0.00 seconds
      cpu time            0.00 seconds

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
buechler66
Barite | Level 11

Ugh, I had the start code outside of my Rsubmit and the stop code still inside my Rsubmit.  Smiley Frustrated

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
JediApprentice
Pyrite | Level 9

That is really strange. Maybe try an alternative way with the dhms function and see if you get different results:

data _null_;
  day=date();
  time=time();
  dt_stamp=dhms(day,0,0,time);
  PUT 'Progam Started: ' dt_stamp datetime.;
run;

data _null_; day=date(); time=time(); dt_stamp=dhms(day,0,0,time); PUT 'Progam Stopped: ' dt_stamp datetime.; run;

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

I believe datetime() queries the servers internal clock so what you observe shouldn't be possible. Are you 100% sure that the "stop time" code executed after the "start time" code?

The only far fetched idea I currently have is that your code runs on a grid, that the two code blocks you've posted ran on different nodes, and that the clocks on the nodes are not in sync (which also shouldn't happen).

buechler66
Barite | Level 11

Ugh, I had the start code outside of my Rsubmit and the stop code still inside my Rsubmit.  Smiley Frustrated

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@buechler66 wrote:

That means you still have a big issue. All your hosts should be connected to a NTP service, so their clocks are synchronized. Some SAS metadata operations do not work if client and server are more than a few seconds apart.

buechler66
Barite | Level 11
That is good to know. Can you give me an example of such a SAS process
that would be effected or a link to any docs?

Thanks again.

##- Please type your reply above this line. Simple formatting, no
attachments. -##

Sent from mobile
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Saving an Enterprise Guide project to metadata causes issues (at least with EG 4.3/SAS 9.2) when the clocks of server and client are not within a few seconds. The webdav server then obviously balks at the timestamps.

buechler66
Barite | Level 11
Thanks very much. Also, if anyone else knows of docs or examples that would be great. I will take this concern to our admits

At least one of our servers is on a different Timezone (-1 hour). Would this also contribute to the same type of issues?
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Timezones should not be a problem. Computers keep their internal clocks in UTC, and use the timezone for display and input purposes.

This of course means that timestamps taken "visually" from remote hosts need to be corrected for timezone offset.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation