BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ArchanaSudhir
Obsidian | Level 7

HI,

I have a dataset.

Data a;

var1 var2 var3;

RUN;

var1,2,3 are numeric. How to I convert their datatype to be character?

Thanks,

Archana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi  Archana,

I'm not sure what "differences" you refer to.

Please note that BESTw. format always results in a string of length ("width") w (here: w=10). These w characters can include

• leading blanks
  • a minus sign
  • digits left of the decimal point
  • a decimal point
  • digits right of the decimal point
  • exponential notation like "E-6" for 10^-6

If you want to obtain a fixed number of decimal places (which you didn't tell in your initial post), BESTw. is inappropriate. Use the w.d format instead, with d=4 and a sufficiently large w, for example w=17 (this will most likely be larger than necessary).

Var1_char = put(var1, 17.4);

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User

Use a PUT() statement. 

Make sure to use appropriate format, best32 is an example. 

Also note that you cannot change a variables type so you have to create a new variable. 

Var1_char = put(var1, best32.);
ArchanaSudhir
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks.

But I am getting differences by using best10.

Var4 var5
0.99079152 0.999999813

Var4 var5
0.9908 1.0000

I should get the answer in 4 decimal places.

How do I get it?

Thanks,

Archana

ballardw
Super User

@ArchanaSudhir wrote:

Thanks.

But I am getting differences by using best10.

Var4 var5
0.99079152 0.999999813

Var4 var5
0.9908 1.0000

I should get the answer in 4 decimal places.

How do I get it?

Thanks,

Archana

Pick an appropriate format. If you require a specific number of decimal places then you need to provide a format that will force them. Without knowing ANY details of your data or output requirement you get a generic response. Try

Put(var,f10.4);

The number after the f has to be large enough to accomate the largest value including 4 spaces for decimal values and 1 for the decimal itself. So if you have values like 1234567.8787 you would need f12.4. But don't expect us to guess correctly without all of the details.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi  Archana,

I'm not sure what "differences" you refer to.

Please note that BESTw. format always results in a string of length ("width") w (here: w=10). These w characters can include

• leading blanks
  • a minus sign
  • digits left of the decimal point
  • a decimal point
  • digits right of the decimal point
  • exponential notation like "E-6" for 10^-6

If you want to obtain a fixed number of decimal places (which you didn't tell in your initial post), BESTw. is inappropriate. Use the w.d format instead, with d=4 and a sufficiently large w, for example w=17 (this will most likely be larger than necessary).

Var1_char = put(var1, 17.4);

DartRodrigo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi mate,

Just setup a new variable name and use put(var1,best10.);

cha1 = put(var1,best10.);
cha2 = put(var2,best10.);
cha3 = put(var3,best10.);

That's all

One more advice: put() is from numeric to character and input is the opposite.

Hope this helps

But remember the format must fit the size of your number, that's why i used the best10., if your number have more than 10 number before the comma, use a greater number format.

ballardw
Super User

Are you attempting to change variables in an existing data set or create as in your example?

With your "example"

data a;

length Var1 Var2 Var3 $ 10; /* specify number to be largest number of characters you'll need the variable to hold*/

run;

If in an existing data set, while learing SAS the best idea would be to make a new dataset, rename your old variables (data set option) and use something like Var1 = put(OldVar1,best12.); pick an appropriate format for the appearance you want.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation