BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Sudhakar_A
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am executing a datastep by creating 50 variables with the lenghth of 200 characters each, but when i am executing it, am getting a error message

as "ERROR: An exception has been encountered" i have attached screen shot of error message as jpg format.

Please help me to solve the issue

Thanks

Sudhakar

Error2.JPGError.JPG
10 REPLIES 10
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Access violation can occur in a variety of situations, and can be quite unpredictable.

Try to initialize you variable a50, and see if that makes any difference.

If not, the log is quite clear: "Please contact technical support...". I suggest that you do that.

Data never sleeps
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Try simplifying your program until the error disappears - this should give you an indication of what statement is causing the problem.

Then search the SAS support site for access violation errors relating to the statement.

It will be likely that Tech Support will ask you to do something similar.

Reeza
Super User

Post your code or contact tech support. Your code shown doesn't show any a50 variable referenced so no idea.

FriedEgg
SAS Employee

You can gain more information into the problem by running the datastep in question in debug mode.

data foo /debug;

and when you run the code you will get the debugging window.  If you are unfamiliar with the process there are plenty of good papers on the subject, and as others have mentioned there is always tech support.  Especially when you share no code or complete logs there is not much anyone here can do to help you with the issue.

Sudhakar_A
Calcite | Level 5

The code which i used , it is working up to 48 variables but not after that

data qsdesc;

length a1-a50 $200.;

a1 = 'Do you have any trouble doing strenuous activities,like carrying a heavy shopping bag or a suitcase? ';

a2 = 'Do you have any trouble taking a long walk?';

a3 = 'Do you have any trouble taking a short walk outside of the house?';

a4 = 'Do you need to stay in bed or a chair during the day?';

a5 = 'Do you need help with eating, dressing, washing yourself or using the toilet?';

a6 = 'Were you limited in doing either your work or other daily activities?';

a7 = 'Were you limited in pursuing your hobbies or other leisure time activities?';

a8 = 'Were you short of breath?';

a9 = 'Have you had pain?';

a10 = 'Did you need to rest?';

a11 = 'Have you had trouble sleeping?';

a12 = 'Have you felt weak?';

a13 = 'Have you lacked appetite?';

a14 = 'Have you felt nauseated?';

a15 = 'Have you vomited?';

a16 = 'Have you been constipated?';

a17 = 'Have you had diarrhea?';

a18 = 'Were you tired?';

a19 = 'Did pain interfere with your daily activities?';

a20 = 'Have you had difficulty in concentrating on things, like reading a newspaper or watching television?';

a21 = 'Did you feel tense?';

a22 = 'Did you worry?';

a23 = 'Did you feel irritable?';

a24 = 'Did you feel depressed?';

a25 = 'Have you had difficulty remembering things?';

a26 = 'Has your physical condition or medical treatment interfered with your family life?';

a27 = 'Has your physical condition or medical treatment interfered with your social activities?';

a28 = 'Has your physical condition or medical treatment caused you financial difficulties?';

a29 = 'How would you rate your overall health during the past week?';

a30 = 'How would you rate your overall quality of life during the past week?';

a31 = 'Did you feel uncertain about the future?';

a32 = 'Did you feel you had setbacks in your condition?';

a33 = 'Were you concerned about disruption of family life?';

a34 = 'Did you have headaches?';

a35 = 'Did your outlook on the future worsen?';

a36 = 'Did you have double vision?';

a37 = 'Was your vision blurred?';

a38 = 'Did you have difficulty reading because of your vision?';

a39 = 'Did you have seizures?';

a40 = 'Did you have weakness on one side of your body?';

a41 = 'Did you have trouble finding the right words to express yourself?';

a42 = 'Did you have difficulty speaking?';

a43 = 'Did you have trouble communicating your thoughts?';

a44 = 'Did you feel drowsy during the daytime?';

a45 = 'Did you have trouble with your coordination?';

a46 = 'Did hair loss bother you?';

a47 = 'Did itching of your skin bother you?';

a48 = 'Did you have weakness of both legs?';

a49 = 'Did you feel unsteady on your feet?';

a50 = 'Did you have trouble controlling your bladder?';

run;

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

There is nothing wrong with that code.  You probably had a temporary problem with your computer.  Perhaps the disk where your WORK library is located was full?   If you are running on a server perhaps some over eager admin deleted your work libary files out from under you.

Sudhakar_A
Calcite | Level 5

i tried working this in SAS 9.1.3 its working good, but in SAS 9.3 it shows these issue, and it is working for 48 variables. I tried in New session also.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

It really does sound like there is a problem with the installation of SAS.  You should report it to SAS support.

Sudhakar_A
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks i will check with my SAS Admin in my office about the installation, technical support can able to replicate the issue

suraj
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello @Sudhakar_A,

I am also getting the same error while submiting a code in rsubmit, Can you help me with this. Thanks!

Regards,

Suraj

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 7 in conversation