BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
asishgautam
Calcite | Level 5

I am reviewing my study guide on 9.3 certification.  In chapter 6, there is some discussion about the differences between the DATA Step compile step and execution step.  On page 206, the book gives an example of a partial output of the descriptor portion of a data set which occurs after a successful compile stage.  One of the things that go into the descriptor portion is the number of observations.  I am confused as to how the descriptor portion would have this information when the actual reading of the data step did not occur.  I could probably see this happening if the data step is referencing a SAS data set but not if the data step is reading a raw text file. 

2 REPLIES 2
MikeZdeb
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi ... I have an earlier edition of that book but I imagine that the example is the same.

If you look at the diagram that shows the data set descriptor it shows zero observations and a comment below the diagram stating that the value is zero since the data step has not executed.

asishgautam
Calcite | Level 5

What you said is mentioned in the book (no observations because the DATA step has not executed).  However, the table on page 206 with the title "Data Set Descriptor (Partial)" shows an entry for "Observations" having a value of 9.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation