BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Inp
Obsidian | Level 7 Inp
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi
Is it possible to use proc export to create MS access db in MVS operating system?

Thanks in advance.

regards
Inp
5 REPLIES 5
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Does your site have a SAS z/OS (MVS, IBM mainframe) software that includes SAS/Access? I would expect the answer to be no, not to export directly from MVS to an Access "mdb".

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

SAS/Access Interface to PC Files: Reference
Microsoft Access Database Files
Microsoft Access File Essentials
http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/acpcref/61891/HTML/default/a003103770.htm
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
I agree with Scott. SAS/ACCESS to PC Files Formats is not listed under available software for ZOS.
There are two ways I can see to export almost directly from ZOS.
-If you have a SAS/CONNECT connection to a Windows, Linus or UNIX host.
-If you have Enterprise Guide connected to your ZOS SAS server.

/Linus
Data never sleeps
JackHamilton
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
If you use SAS/Connect to Linux or Unix, you will still need a Windows server. As far as I can tell, the PC Files Server runs only on Windows. Unix and Linux access works by connecting to a PC server (I am assuming that SAS is using "PC" as a synonym for "Windows").

Given that, I'm not sure why access is not supported from z/OS. Perhaps they just didn't want to deal with the EBCDIC<->ASCII issues.
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
I expect there is some aspect that is "proprietary" and would not execute on z/OS. So, unless there is a "compatible" format, as in unloaded database, I don't see the Access-function code working on the IBM mainframe platform.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
JackHamilton
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
The Access code doesn't run on Linux or Unix either - the actual conversion is done with a client server model, with Linux/Unix as the client and Windows as the server doing the work. So I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to have the server work with z/OS as well - the data file is just bits, which z/OS has no problem handling.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation