BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
rajeshm
Quartz | Level 8

1. if dataset having fmtname start and label variables only,how sas creating a format/in format with cntlin option of proc format?

2. type varible(optional) is for character/numeric , again why fmtname beginning with $ and  type is mentioning as 'c'.

both are in the same book and some one explain me ,please

proc format cntlin=exposure fmtlib;

run;

proc format;

select @exp1944fmt @exp1945fmt;    informats to print

run;

proc format cntlin=control fmtlib;

run;

proc format;

select $ICDFMT;  formats to print

run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

SAS has FORMATS and INFORMATS.  The first converts a value to a character string and the second converts a character string to a value.

Both can be either numeric or character.

When you reference them in SAS code you use $ before the name for character formats or informats.

When you reference them in the SELECT or EXCLUDE statement in PROC FORMAT you also add @ in front of the name to let it know that you mean an INFORMAT.

When you are trying to create them from a dataset you set the variable TYPE to indicate which you want to create.

N=Numeric format

C=Character format

I=Numeric informat

J=Character informat

Try this little program.

proc format ;

value A 1='A' ;

value $B '1'='B' ;

invalue C 'C'=1 ;

invalue $D 'D'='1' ;

run;

proc format fmtlib cntlout=formats;

run;

proc print ;

var fmtname type start label ;

run;

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

I do not understand the question.  If you read in and create a format catalogue from a dataset, the type variable indicates if the format applied is character or numeric.  The c means that the format is a character format so the input and output would be character e.g:

$SEXC

'1' = 'Male'

'2' = 'Female'

For missing or n then this means a number to character:

SEXC

1 = 'Male'

2 = 'Female'

rajeshm
Quartz | Level 8

sorry for the trouble.

first program:                   for the  input dataset, sas created a informat with the given values.

second program:              for the input dataset, sas created a format  with the given values.

in both the cases I have given fmtname,start and label only,but one time sas created a format another time sas created informat

first program

proc format cntlin=exposure fmtlib; * here sas created a informat from the varibles( fmtname,start and end values)

run;

proc format;

select @exp1944fmt @exp1945fmt; 

run;

second program

proc format cntlin=control fmtlib; * here sas created a format from the varibles (fmtname,start and end values)

run;

proc format;

select $ICDFMT;

run;

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Yep, really not following you.  What is the difference between the exposure and control tables?  There shouldn't be that much difference between formats and informats, one is a method of reading in the data, the other for display.  Perhaps post the datasets, or a subset thereof so I can see the elements.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

SAS has FORMATS and INFORMATS.  The first converts a value to a character string and the second converts a character string to a value.

Both can be either numeric or character.

When you reference them in SAS code you use $ before the name for character formats or informats.

When you reference them in the SELECT or EXCLUDE statement in PROC FORMAT you also add @ in front of the name to let it know that you mean an INFORMAT.

When you are trying to create them from a dataset you set the variable TYPE to indicate which you want to create.

N=Numeric format

C=Character format

I=Numeric informat

J=Character informat

Try this little program.

proc format ;

value A 1='A' ;

value $B '1'='B' ;

invalue C 'C'=1 ;

invalue $D 'D'='1' ;

run;

proc format fmtlib cntlout=formats;

run;

proc print ;

var fmtname type start label ;

run;

rajeshm
Quartz | Level 8

hi,

thanks for the reply.

I know  for creating a format from a dataset ,3 varibles are enough(fmtname,start,label). suppose my dataset not having a type column and I am using cntlin option for creating the format/informat. then how sas is creating the formats/informats.

I tried with your example only, used the cntlout option to create a dataset from the format and after that I deleted the formats in catalog and dropped the type column in dataset and again used the option cntlin option to create a format/informat from the dataset. then you can find the log here.

9290  proc format cntlin=dataset   fmtlib ;

NOTE: Format A has been output.

NOTE: Format B has been output.

NOTE: Format C has been output.

NOTE: Format D could not be written because it has the same name as an Institute-supplied format.

what is  error here?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

There is no error there. Since you did not provide a TYPE variable it tried to create them all as numeric formats.  If you do not want numeric formats then you need to provide the TYPE variable.

rajeshm
Quartz | Level 8

hi,

As per my understand,

if we are not mentioning type column it will create format default(numeric/character name depnds on the fmtname ) But if we mention (i,j) as types then it will create informats.

if my assumption is wrong,let me know.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Yep, as documented SAS(R) 9.4 Formats and Informats: Reference format D is a name already being used as SAS supplied

Base SAS(R) 9.4 Procedures Guide, Third Edition See restrictions: "The name of a user-defined format cannot be the same as the name of a format that is supplied by SAS."

It works as documented.                  No error, just keep attention to RTFM. 

---->-- ja karman --<-----

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation