BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
vraj1
Quartz | Level 8

I need to concatenate 2 or more variables if both are present like below

%if SECREAS1 ne '' and SECREAS2 ne '' %then %do;
sec_reasons=catx(';', SECREAS1,SECREAS2);
%end;

%if SECREAS1 ne '' and SECREAS2 eq '' %then %do;
sec_reasons=SECREAS1;
%end;

But if i have another reason like SECREAS3 and SECREAS4 then it will be more complex to do. is there any better way to do.

subj SECREAS1 SECREAS2 SECREAS3 SECREAS4
101 Adverse event Withdraw by consent    
102 LOC Other LOC Withdraw by consent
103 Withdraw by consent LOC Withdraw by consent Other

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Its been mentioned time and time again, post test data in the form of a datastep, as text in the post, and show what output you want.

What do you want the output when all four are present, all cat'd?  If so then:

catx(',',of screas:);

Should be fine, if it is only pairs, what is the precedence?  Should it be Loc: <reas1>,<reas 2> etc.?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Its been mentioned time and time again, post test data in the form of a datastep, as text in the post, and show what output you want.

What do you want the output when all four are present, all cat'd?  If so then:

Should be fine, if it is only pairs, what is the precedence?  Should it be Loc: <reas1>,<reas 2> etc.?

vraj1
Quartz | Level 8

i do not have test data for this case but making a code which can work on any number of condtions.

the below one suggested by you works well

but i am thinking how can i control the %if conditions.

If i have value only in sec_reason1 then it should be displayed as it is but if i have values in sec_reason1 and sec_reason2 then it should concatenate with semicolon in middle the same if we have values in the rest of sec_reasons3 or 4(in case if we have).

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

%if is macro language, nothing to do with datastep language, they are very different and for different purposes.  

If you are making general code for a library or something like that then you will have a functional design specification document which clearly shows all inputs outputs, explains logic, program flow, checks performed etc.  So you should have a good idea of the inputs you will get.  The cat functions will only concatenate when there is a value present, but that might not cover all eventualities.

Another point, why do you have SCREAS1-x.  In standard CDISC models screen fail reasons would be held in SUPPDS domain as:

QNAM               QVAL

SCRNREAS      ...

And this would only capture where there is data, so to get a complete list of reason you would do:

data want;
  set suppds (where=(qnam="SCRNREAS"));
  by usubjid;
  length reas $2000;
  reas=ifc(first.usubjid,qval,catx(';',reas,qval));
  if last.usubjid then output;
run;

Or combine that somehow into existing domain modelling code.

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19
%if SECREAS1 ne '' and SECREAS2 ne '' %then %do;
sec_reasons=catx(';', SECREAS1,SECREAS2);
%end;

an interesting mixture of datastep and macro code, most likely not working as expected.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation