BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
gowtham112
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi guys,

I am trying to concatenate two variables(var1 and var2) . Can anyone suggest me how this can be done

var1  var2           Var3

Q1     Q3            Q1,Q3

The final output should be like var3.

Thaks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

Fortunately it's the simplest thing in the world. Well, not the simplest thing. But still fairly simple.

data _null_;
var1 = 'Q1';
var2 = 'Q3';
length var3 $ 5;
var3 = catx(',', var1, var2);
put _all_;
run;

catx takes as its first parameter the separator you want, followed by the variables (and there can be many more) you want to concatenate.

It's magic!

(Editor's note: see more details in How to concatenate values in SAS.)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

Fortunately it's the simplest thing in the world. Well, not the simplest thing. But still fairly simple.

data _null_;
var1 = 'Q1';
var2 = 'Q3';
length var3 $ 5;
put _all_;
run;

catx takes as its first parameter the separator you want, followed by the variables (and there can be many more) you want to concatenate.

It's magic!

(Editor's note: see more details in How to concatenate values in SAS.)

LaurieF
Barite | Level 11
I'd just like to add the the variables that are being concatenated are stripped (leading/trailing spaces taken off). In this case it doesn't make any difference, of course - just so that you know.
ballardw
Super User

As a minor clarification to @LaurieF's fine solution, the LENGTH of the new variable is important and needs to be set to the sum of the lengths of the longest values of Var1 and Var2 plus 1 for the comma. Otherwise you may experience truncation of your values. Note that CATX may tell that you need a longer variable with a message.

data _null_;
   var1 = 'Q123';
   var2 = 'Q345';
   length var3 $ 8;
   put _all_;
run;

Will generate:

WARNING: In a call to the CATX function, the buffer allocated for the result was not long enough
         to contain the concatenation of all the arguments. The correct result would contain 9
         characters, but the actual result may either be truncated to 8 character(s) or be
         completely blank, depending on the calling environment. The following note indicates the
         left-most argument that caused truncation.

which tells the minimum length you should set for VAR3

hmoghul
Fluorite | Level 6
Perfect! Thank you LaurieF
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Like this? 🙂

data have;
   input var1 $ var2 $;
   datalines;
   Q1 Q3
   ;

data want;
   set have;
run; 
mnjtrana
Pyrite | Level 9

Same solution as @LaurieF

Cheers from India!

Manjeet
LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

I beat @PeterClemmensen by seconds, i think! Smiley Tongue

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 12 likes
  • 6 in conversation