BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
pmf007
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi

Not sure if this is the right place to put this question, but here goes ....

Setting the scene : SAS datasets sit on a server and some datasets have permanent formats associated with them (written with a 32 bit machine).  All the researchers in the department have SAS installed on our PCs. Until a few days ago, I also had a 32 bit machine but have now swapped to a new 64 bit machine.  SAS 64-bit (v 9.3) has been installed on my computer.

Question : I know that catalogs for formats are not compatible between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of SAS.  However, if I 're-do' the formats using 64-bit SAS, will this then make the datasets incompatible for other users that still have the 32-bit SAS on their machines?

I have been reading http://www.philasug.org/ps0410-2.pdf for some hints to make the datasets useable for me, but I don't want to stuff them up for other users.

I hope this makes sense.

Thank

Peta

6 REPLIES 6
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

You need to have different versions (32-64-bit) of catalogs with same logic as long as you are using the data on different machines.

Would advise to place them on a separate location. Not mixed with the datasets. 

In that way data shoul be accessible from both type of installations (32-64 bit)

A good starting point for migration is the SAS support migration notes.  

http://support.sas.com/rnd/migration/planning/files/inventory.html

Some additionals like: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/hostunx/61879/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a002208559.htm

Looking closer ther are two approaches used with proc migrate.

a/ cport/cimport  This permanent conversion just upgrading the data

b/ connect/share  With this you can have 1 version up/down difference while  migrating

Needing to have it supported by It-staff.

Now running 64-bit SAS you will probably get more 32-64 bit issues. Expecting the interface to MS-Office

---->-- ja karman --<-----
pmf007
Fluorite | Level 6

Yep, will keep different catalogs for the different formats.  Thank you for your suggestion.  Smiley Happy

ballardw
Super User

You might find the FMTSEARCH option useful to have users point to different libraries containing the 32 or 64 bit versions of your custom formats.

pmf007
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you.  Am currently investigating this option.  V helpful!

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Maintain separate libraries (or at least catalogs) and use the automatic macro variables like SYSVER, SYSSCP and SYSMAXLONG to determine which one to include in your FMTSEARCH setting.

pmf007
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you.  This was very helpful.  Our stats group now discussing best way to proceed until all are using 64 bit machines (will happen within the next 6-12 months)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation