BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Sir_Highbury
Quartz | Level 8

Dear experts,

I am looking fo an effective way (I assume proc compare or proc sql) to compare 2 data sets. The second data set should contain almost the same data of the previou one (some small changes) and additional observations.

My aim is to get the complete delta between the two data sets, i.e. the changes to the existing data and the new ones.

Any suggestion? Thanks a lot, SH.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Well, proc compare is the obvious choice, you can send the output to a dataset, and then further process it for a nice output.  I find its sometimes a bit difficult to review though.  I would suggest you try the two options, sometimes, if I want to see data in one and not the other i might use SQL:

proc sql;
  select *
  from   HAVE1
  except 
  select * 
  from   HAVE2;
quit;

Its a bit difficult as its very much a matter of preference, what you want the output to look like, what kind of level of checking etc.  Could be merging one to the other and then doing processing in datastep/sql would be helpful, i.e. if values are similar/match but don't logically etc.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Well, proc compare is the obvious choice, you can send the output to a dataset, and then further process it for a nice output.  I find its sometimes a bit difficult to review though.  I would suggest you try the two options, sometimes, if I want to see data in one and not the other i might use SQL:

proc sql;
  select *
  from   HAVE1
  except 
  select * 
  from   HAVE2;
quit;

Its a bit difficult as its very much a matter of preference, what you want the output to look like, what kind of level of checking etc.  Could be merging one to the other and then doing processing in datastep/sql would be helpful, i.e. if values are similar/match but don't logically etc.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation