5 1 2 99282 3
6 1 1 99283 2
7 1 1 99282 1
7 1 2 99282 3
7 1 3 99283 2
7 1 4 99284 1
8 1 1 99285 2
etc.

I am supposed to aggregate this into an episode level file that allows for a maximum of three days between from and through date, while retaining all the other information in the claims, but only if dates overlap in claims. So, for example, all of the claims for id=1 would be collapsed into a single episode of care, because all the dates fall into the range 1-4. But the claims for id=4 would generate 3 episodes, because the dates between services are distinct. And I have to save all the information from all the claims regardless of how many distinct episodes are created - original from and thru dates, cpt codes, and severity levels.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!!!
bethcook
5 REPLIES 5
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Hi,
If your data isn't huge, consider to read it twice. The first round to identify episodes using retain on from and thru dates. The second round to output your aggregate.

/Linus
Data never sleeps
Patrick
Opal | Level 21
Hi bethcook

That's a nice one!

I see 2 issues here:
1. How to identify episodes.
2. How to organise the data.

Question to 1:
id fromdate todate
1 1 4
1 3 6
1 5 8

How many episodes would that be and which record would belong to which episode?

Thoughts about 2:
Your dataset can either be aggregated or on atomic level. To have both you can:
A: have 2 datasets; generate a primary key for the aggregated dataset and add this key to the atomic dataset (the one you have already) as foreign key.
B: create only one aggregated dataset and store all atomic information de-normalised into "arrays".
C: keep the atomic dataset (number of rows) but add additional variables with aggregated values which are repeated (also "de-normalised").

I would go for variant A or C.

Variant B will give you a lot of headache (and cause some macro coding).
The number of variables to store the atomic information (=size of the array) would vary (maximum number of rows which make one episode).

Let me know what you're heading for and answer question 1 please.

Regards
Patrick
deleted_user
Not applicable
in response to question 1, I think I would probably treat that as 3 distinct episodes even though there is overlap, but I would want to verify that with my team first.

I appreciate your help! What do you mean exactly by "atomic" - I am not very good at SAS yet...
Thanks again
bethcook
Patrick
Opal | Level 21
To 1:
Just make sure to create test data to cover all possible cases - and then define the rules to build episodes before you even start with coding.

To 2:
Atomic is a term used in data organisation (not SAS specific).
Out of a theory book: "Granularity refers to the level of detail represented by the values stored in a table's row. Data stored at their lowest level of granularity are said to be atomic data."

Let us know the rules when you've got them and provide also the test data.

Patrick
deleted_user
Not applicable
Patrick:
Thanks for your suggestions. They helped - I used one of them to guide me somewhat -
1 - Defined claims as "singles" "possible parents" and "children" - the first two at an episode level, the last at claim level - had to do "possible" parents because I could not use information from the previous observation to determine if they had a "child"
2 - Reorganized "children" into an episode level file
3 - Merged "possible parents" back onto "children" - if they found a match they were confirmed as "parents" - otherwise "singles"
4 - Put singles, parents & children together.

Thanks again!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation