DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

character to numeric with sas time formats using array

Accepted Solution Solved
Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

character to numeric with sas time formats using array

[ Edited ]

Hi!

I need some help trouble shooting this syntax.  Trying to change all my character strings for time varialbes into formated sas time variables.  I'm getting error 'Illegal Regerence to the array _num'.

Here is my syntax

data med.time2006;
set med.time2006 (keep=TranAlert TranLaunch TranOnScene TranRecov TranDeliv GCSTime 
		VitalTime1 VitalTime2 VitalTime3 VitalTime4 VitalTime5 VitalTime6
		MedGiveTime1 MedGiveTime2 MedGiveTime3 MedGiveTime4 MedGiveTime5 MedGiveTime6 MedGiveTime7 
		IV1Time IV2Time PainScaleTime1 PainScaleTime2 PainScaleTime3 PainScaleTime4 PainScaleTime5 PainScaleTime6
rename=(tranalert=tranalert_a TranLaunch=tranlaunch_a TranOnScene=tranonscene_a TranRecov=tranrecov_a 
		TranDeliv=trandeliv_a GCSTime=gcstime_a VitalTime1=vitaltime1_a VitalTime2=vitaltime2_a VitalTime3=vitaltime3_a VitalTime4=vitaltime4_a 
		VitalTime5=vitaltime5_a VitalTime6=vitaltime6_a MedGiveTime1=medgivetime1_a MedGiveTime2=medgivetime2_a MedGiveTime3=medgivetime3_a 
		MedGiveTime4=medgivetime4_a MedGiveTime5=medgivetime5_a MedGiveTime6=medgivetime6_a MedGiveTime7=medgivetime7_a  
		IV1Time=IVTime_a IV2Time=IVTime2_a PainScaleTime1=painscaletime1_a PainScaleTime2=painscaletime2_a PainScaleTime3=painscaletime3_a 
		PainScaleTime4=painscaletime4_a  PainScaleTime5=painscaletime5_a PainScaleTime6=painscaletime6_a ));

array _char (*) $ TranAlert_a TranLaunch_a TranOnScen_a TranReco_a TranDeliv_a GCSTime_a 
		VitalTime1_a VitalTime2_a VitalTime3_a VitalTime4_a VitalTime5_a VitalTime6_a
		MedGiveTime1_a MedGiveTime2_a MedGiveTime3_a MedGiveTime4_a MedGiveTime5_a MedGiveTime6_a MedGiveTime7_a 
		IV1Time_a IV2Time_a PainScaleTime1_a PainScaleTime2_a PainScaleTime3_a PainScaleTime4_a PainScaleTime5_a PainScaleTime6_a;
array _num (*)  TranAlert TranLaunch TranOnScene TranRecov TranDeliv GCSTime 
		VitalTime1 VitalTime2 VitalTime3 VitalTime4 VitalTime5 VitalTime6
		MedGiveTime1 MedGiveTime2 MedGiveTime3 MedGiveTime4 MedGiveTime5 MedGiveTime6 MedGiveTime7 
		IV1Time IV2Time PainScaleTime1 PainScaleTime2 PainScaleTime3 PainScaleTime4 PainScaleTime5 PainScaleTime6;
do i=1 to dim(_char);
		_num=input(_char(i),best12.);
		_num=hms(floor(_num/100),mod(_num,100),0);
		format _num time12.;
		end;
run;

Help is appreciated!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎08-08-2017 01:50 PM
Trusted Advisor

Re: character to numeric with sas time formats using array

Try replacing all appearances of _num with _num(i), and in the format statement, use the actual variable names instead of the array name _num;

View solution in original post

All Replies
Trusted Advisor

I'll let you do the counting. You need to have the exact same number of variables in _char and _num. Do you?

Frequent Contributor

Posted in reply to PaigeMiller
@PaigeMiller Yes, I double counted...27
Solution
‎08-08-2017 01:50 PM
Trusted Advisor

Try replacing all appearances of _num with _num(i), and in the format statement, use the actual variable names instead of the array name _num;

Frequent Contributor

Posted in reply to PaigeMiller

@PaigeMiller It worked!  Thank you so much!

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation