BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
reginado
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi, would you know if there is possibility to change teradata user password directly through SAS?

Does the pass-trough statement will work?

Thanks a lot!

RD

5 REPLIES 5
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Wouldn't have thought so, isn't that a breach of system integrity being able to just change administrative features externally to the application.  Even considering such a thing I would first speak with your ITas you may breach their policies by doing it outside the app in question.

reginado
Fluorite | Level 6

Let assume this is allowed, is this possible? Would you know for sure?

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

I have not seen anything like this.  The SAS passthrough system is SQL passthrough, i.e. SQL statements get passed to the database SQL parser.  Theoretically if you can alter things via the SQL tables using SQL you could, however would result in some interesting explanations of where the production database has gone. 

Also, if you had some sort of command line interface to the database, then you could push command line instructions out, requires you to have comand line access, the database to have a command line admin tool.  

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Once again, Maxim 6 comes into play. A google search for "teradata change password syntax" reveals that @Tom's code suggestion is actually correct for Teradata. But you will need a Teradata user with the necessary permissions for this.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I think that the Teradata syntax for changing a password looks like this:

MODIFY USER "username" AS PASSWORD ="*******"

So you can use PROC SQL to push that statement into Teradata.

proc sq ;
  connect to teradata ... ;
  EXECUTE (
MODIFY USER "username" AS PASSWORD ="*******"
  ) BY TERADATA; 
quit;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation