BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Steelers_In_DC
Barite | Level 11

I have two tables with variables listed below.  In the first table origacct number is meant to be original account number and should remain the same.  acctnbr can change for several reasons but origacct should not change.  During my initial research I have found this is not true.  I am using the second table to search history, later I will be using a third but I don't currently have access. 

I'll start with what I'm thinking and hopefully someone has a better solution.  I will be doing a self join, cons_test = cons_test, joining acctnbr to origacct.  Next I will join the three variables in the second table.  I need to keep acctnbr, but join to each other variable, I will then sort by opendate to find the oldest account number associated with the current acctnbr.  Currently the database doesn't have a good way to view customer history.  Is an array the best way to accomplish this, I'm open to any suggestions.

data cons_test;
set consumer_agg(obs=10000);
keep acctnbr origacct opendate;
run;

data fdr_start;
set fdr_agg(obs=10000);
keep cracct xref1 xref2 xrefacct opendate;
run;

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

Create a master table of accounts to what account number they should be. This is most likely a recursive search, but it's been solved on here before several times. Ideally you don't use a Cartesian product, I think the best solutions were hash tables. 

https://communities.sas.com/t5/Base-SAS-Programming/Recursive-lookup-for-ID-s/m-p/259635/highlight/t...

ballardw
Super User

One might hope there are additional pieces of information to identify a person or oganization to help decide if the values really are for the same person or typos. Also I might look at the earliest dates associated with any of the information combinations as well for determining a the "true" origacct value.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation