BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SudheerAnkem
Calcite | Level 5

Dear All,

I need to capture records while reading the input and display them in mainframe SPOOL. Can any body help me as how to achieve it?

5 REPLIES 5
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

You would need to provide some information on the problem.  What "records" are being captured from "reading in".  Where is that all happening, what software are you using, how is it being read etc.  Your second part about spooling would need expanding to, where are you outputting, how etc.  You can send things to command line via X or sysfunc() - look at the manual for information.

SudheerAnkem
Calcite | Level 5

I am using Mainframe SAS and the programs are exeucted by a and JCL (Job Control Language). SAS program reads data from the input file supplied by the JCL (or Job). Program reads the input file data (row wise and they are called records) and do the process and generates report. My need is, to capture that input records and PRINT it to console / SPOOL  (similar to DISPLAY in COBOL languae)

Thank you

Astounding
PROC Star

What is the mainframe command (presumably a TSO command) that would print a message to the console (outside of any program)?

SudheerAnkem
Calcite | Level 5

I want to know the features of PROC PRINT option and how it is coonected to an output file

Astounding
PROC Star

If you examine the SAS procedure, it generates a DD statement that holds all reports, including the reports from PROC PRINT.  There are ways to override that behavior, and send some or all reports to a DD statement of your choosing.  I can't tell you the name of the DD statement, since it's been about 30 years since I used SAS on a mainframe.  The names of the DD statements could easily have changed since then.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation