BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
knveraraju91
Barite | Level 11

Dear,

When i ran second data step i am getting errors. Is it possible to use  'i' values as macro variable as in second data step. Thank you.

data sdtmall1(keep=memname name); set sdtmall; if index(name,'SEQ')>0 or index(name,'IDVARVAL')>0; run; data one; do i=1 to 69; set sdtmall1; call symputx('in&i.',memname); call symputx('seq&i.',name); output; end; run;
3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You cannot mix and match. Data step variables are data step variables, they are not macro variables. Macro variables are macro variables, they are not data step variables.

Much simpler approach, since variable I is a data step variable, and you are in a data step, then use variable I as a data step variable.

data _null_;
    do i=1 to 69;
         set sdtmall1;
         call symputx(cats('in',i),memname);
         call symputx(cats('seq',i),name);
         /* output; */  <--- The output statement simply isn't needed here
     end;
run;

Also note that indenting makes your code easier to read.

--
Paige Miller
knveraraju91
Barite | Level 11

Thank you for the reply. I have one more issuethat i am not able to understand. Please help. Thank you.

After you code  i am able to create macro variables, but i need to use the below macro code. why the data step is not running. Thank you

data _null_; do i=1 to 3; set sdtmall1; call symputx(cats('in',i),memname); call symputx(cats('seq',i),name); %macro duplicates(in=,seq=); proc sort data=sdtm.&in. out=_null_ dupout=dups__&in. nodupkey; by usubjid &seq.; run; proc print data=dups__&in. width=min ; title " Dups in sdtm.&in."; var usubjid &seq.; run; %mend; %duplicates(in=&ini.,seq=&seqi.); end; run;

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Whenever you create a macro (or a macro variable) and use it, the result must be VALID SAS CODE.

So, you can't have a PROC SORT and PROC PRINT inside a data step. That is not valid SAS code.

In your code, you could call the macro %DUPLICATES after the RUN; that ends the data step. That would be LEGAL SAS CODE. Whether it is actually what you want or not, I don't know.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation