BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

???

The input statement is the same for all records. It only has to be customised once to describe all the columns.

Reeza
Super User

@kjowers The first data step in @ChrisNZ solution is to generate the sample file to read. You do not need it, point to your file directly.

kjowers
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you, @Reeza! I think that's where my concern was coming in. I saw all of the statements and my mind blanked on what they were actually for! Much appreciated!

Doctor J
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Thank you @Reeza. I misread the OP's answer (input instead of put) as it never occurred to me that s/he could have not even looked at the provided code. I never ceases to amaze me how people find it normal to ask for help, but won't even take the time to explain their problem properly or provide simple sample data or read the answers. You have much more patience than I do (Hence your deserved Grand Advisor status!)  Smiley Happy  

Reeza
Super User

@ChrisNZ Depends on the hour of the day TBH, by 10PM my meds have worn off 😉

kjowers
Fluorite | Level 6

Wow. And here I was thinking that this board was for asking questions and getting answers. Instead, it appears to be for randomly insulting people you don't know. @ChrisNZ, your reply is quite possibly the rudest thing I've read in quite a while. You DO realize I can see it, right? Mad props for being a major jerk. Also, way to go for jumping to yet another conclusion. I did, in fact, read the syntax in the replies to my post. I just didn't understand one part of it. And, to be honest, I'd much prefer not knowing everything to being a bully. In my original post, I explained my issue, I didn't provide sample syntax (because the whole purpose of my post was that I didn't know what syntax to write); I provided sample data (as an attachment), and I read peoples' answers. Next time, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. Much appreciated. And if you choose to continue hurling baseless insults at me, I'm more than happy to ask a moderator to intervene.

Doctor J
Reeza
Super User

Wow. 

@ChrisNZ also took the time to fully mock up a solution, and part of why he used the process he did, was specifically so you, and future users, would be able to run it exactly as posted on your computer. No attachments or anything needed. He also created that step manually and explicitly stated that you needed to customize the INPUT statement. For some reason you incorrectly assumed you needed to change the PUT statement. 

His response was to my comment, not necessarily yours, and since we interact on many questions, may not even reflect what he thought about your question. This is after all, a public forum. 

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

>  I was thinking that this board was for asking questions and getting answers

This board is for asking people with immense talent and knowledge to contribute their time and skills for free, and receiving that generous help gracefully and gratefully.

The minimum requesters can do in return is to minimise the time required by these experts, and to be appreciative for their contributions.

This involves taking the time to do things like providing ready-to-use data and code, providing as clear explanations as possible, limiting the examples given to the minimum that still show the wanted behaviour, and spending time reading the answers given and looking in the documentation to understand them before asking more questions if needed.

> quite possibly the rudest thing I've read in quite a while

You have a quiet life!  🙂   You should follow the tweets of the POTUS. Smiley Wink

More seriously, only the first sentence was about you, and it was plainly factual. The rest was also factual, but more general, and was not addressed to you or at you.

As for insulting your grand self, and threatening and bullying, I didn't do any of this, but you sure did not hold back. It is the first time in many years that I see any aggressive behaviour at all on this forum, so you are making history. 

I have now black listed you (a one-person list), and if enough people do this, your life here will be very lonely indeed. Please carry on your threat.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation