BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
garfield83
Calcite | Level 5

I have two list of variables, they are the same metrics, but from different point of time, right now I want to calculate the difference between them, the dataset looks like this:

account fico_201701 beacon_201701 dpd_201701 fico_201712 beacon_201712 dpd_201712

I want to calculate difference between fico_201701 and fico_201712/ beacon_201701 and beacon_201712 and etc, how do I program for it?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14

Are you joining two tables into one and trying to get the difference between variables of alike ones.

Like :

Table A : account fico_201701 beacon_201701 dpd_201701
Table B : account fico_201712 beacon_201712 dpd_201712

Thanks,
Suryakiran
Satish_Parida
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
1. Sort the 2 datasets by account.
2. Merge the 2 datasets to create a single dataset by account.
3. In the Merge step subtract the related variables to get your result.
e.g. fico_diff=fico_201701-fico_201712
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

I would start by fixing the input datasets so that they have a date-variable containing the postfix of the other variables, thus you can store the data of any time point in on dataset. For the calculation you need the data sorted by account and date, then you can use the dif-function to get the differences.

garfield83
Calcite | Level 5

Right, but my question is how to do that using macro? I have 600 variables.

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

Maybe my eyes need to checked by a doc, but i can't see anything about having 600 vars in your starting post. Using an array with a simple loop seems to be appropriate.

Untested fragment:

data work.want;
	set have;
	by account;

array vars fico beacon dpd ...;
	array diffs fico_diff beacon_diff dpd_diff ...;

do i = 1 to dim(vars);
		diffs[i] = lag(vars[i]);
		if first.account then do;
			diffs[i] = 0;
		end;
	end;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation