BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
desertsp
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm starting to explore the idea of creating a set of reusable macros to perform some common tasks at my workplace. Particularly data-restructuring tasks where an input table is given to the macro, which performs several intermediate steps to generate the desired output table.These macros would be called by larger programs. Ideally, I'd create custom Procs for these tasks, but my site doesn't license SAS/TOOLKIT. I'm using Base SAS 9.2.

Can anyone share some resources related to ensuring that macros operate within a "sandbox"?

My concern is that I will forget which datasets are used "internal" to the macro and will create an important dataset of the same name as part of the larger program that calls the macro, and then the macro will overwrite or otherwise corrupt that dataset. Currently my only idea is to utilize obscure dataset names within the macro, but that doesn't seem very elegant.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

I haven't heard of any such resources, but here are a few pieces of advice.

First, don't think of the data set names as "obscure".  Think of them (and make them) descriptive, and keep in mind that you can use 32 characters to name a data set.  Remember, you only have to type out the names once and the macros will do it from that point forward.

Second, consider assigning a short acronym to each macro.  That way, all data set names created by the macro can begin with that acronym.  It makes debugging somewhat easier as well.

Finally, remember to set up your sandbox for macro variables (not just data sets).  This means adding %LOCAL statements liberally whenever a macro variable is supposed to be local to that macro.  After all, when %A calls %B, you don't want the running of %B to change the values of macro variables in the symbol table for %A.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Astounding
PROC Star

I haven't heard of any such resources, but here are a few pieces of advice.

First, don't think of the data set names as "obscure".  Think of them (and make them) descriptive, and keep in mind that you can use 32 characters to name a data set.  Remember, you only have to type out the names once and the macros will do it from that point forward.

Second, consider assigning a short acronym to each macro.  That way, all data set names created by the macro can begin with that acronym.  It makes debugging somewhat easier as well.

Finally, remember to set up your sandbox for macro variables (not just data sets).  This means adding %LOCAL statements liberally whenever a macro variable is supposed to be local to that macro.  After all, when %A calls %B, you don't want the running of %B to change the values of macro variables in the symbol table for %A.

desertsp
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for the quick reply!

I think these two techniques will do the trick.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation