BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sathya66
Barite | Level 11

Hi All,

I want to avoid sorting while doing merge because my below tables are already in sorting order. I think index will help but I am not sure.

or is there any method if the tables are already in sorting order then merge or sort kind of approach.

proc sort data=a ;
			by id;
		run;

proc sort data=b;
			by id;
		run;

data b;
			merge  a(in=a) b(in=b);
					by id;
					if a=b ;
		run;

Thanks,

SS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
6 REPLIES 6
Astounding
PROC Star

If your data sets are already in order, you don't need to run PROC SORT.  Just proceed directly to the DATA step with MERGE.

The BY statement requires a data set that is in order.  It doesn't matter how the data set came to be in order.  It does not require sorting, if the data set is already in order.

sathya66
Barite | Level 11
but it is showing an error.
ERROR: BY variables are not properly sorted on data set WORK.A.
Astounding
PROC Star

If you are getting that error message, it means the observations are not in order.  Of course you need to run PROC SORT when the observations are not in order.  I thought you were asking if you could skip the PROC SORT when the data set was already in order.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Maxim 2: Read the log. If the tables are already sorted as you need them, this will show in the log. Then no additional sorting needs to be done.

Indexes only improve performance if they can be used to select small subsets of data; in whole-dataset joins like yours they usually worsen overall performance.

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

Adding the option "presorted" to proc sort, will prevent datasets from being sorted if they are already sorted.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation