BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Weihong
Calcite | Level 5

the following code works fine. but when I increase the &col = 5000, it becomes very redundant. Any suggestions that I can do something like symput so save some space?

%let row = 10;

%let col = 5;

data test1;

do i = 1 to &row.;

output;

end;

run;

data test2;

set test1;

array econ econ_1 - econ_&col.;

array z z_1 - z_&col.;

do j = 1 to &col.;

if _n_ = 1 then econ{j} = rannor(1);

z{j} = econ{j} * i;

end;

retain econ_1 - econ_&col.;

run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Weihong
Calcite | Level 5

Got help from SAS already. See below code. Appreciate your time.

%let col = 3;

Data _null_;

do i = 1 to &col.;

call symput ('econ_'||strip(i), rannor(1));

end;

run;

%macro test;

data test2;

set test1;

array z z_1 - z_&col.;

%do j = 1 %to &col.;

z{&j} = &&econ_&j. *i;

%end;

run;

%mend;

%test;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

One minor point if you only have one input set then _N_ will only be one once so there is no reaso to include that test in the DO J= loop.

It sounds like you have a varying number of econ variables and you are sometimes creating extra variables that you don't want.

A quick and dirty approach would be to set COL using the data assuming you have a dataset with more meaningful ECON variables.

data _null_;

set have (obs=1);

array econ econ_: ;

x= dim(econ);

call symput('col',put(x,f5.0));

run;

Weihong
Calcite | Level 5

"One minor point if you only have one input set then _N_ will only be one once so there is no reaso to include that test in the DO J= loop."

Not quite understand what you mean here. The input data test1 has 10 observations. And, _N_ will be used 5 times as there are 5 arrays being created.

"It sounds like you have a varying number of econ variables and you are sometimes creating extra variables that you don't want."

I do want to use those retained observations, but since they are all the same within same econ_*, it is redundent and it takes too much space. So I am thinking if I can write these 5 (&col.) econ_* as global variables, and retreat them when I need them.

Weihong
Calcite | Level 5

Got help from SAS already. See below code. Appreciate your time.

%let col = 3;

Data _null_;

do i = 1 to &col.;

call symput ('econ_'||strip(i), rannor(1));

end;

run;

%macro test;

data test2;

set test1;

array z z_1 - z_&col.;

%do j = 1 %to &col.;

z{&j} = &&econ_&j. *i;

%end;

run;

%mend;

%test;

ballardw
Super User

I thought your data was to simulate something in lieue of your actual data.

I do not know what you mean by redundant or what space you want to save.

If you do not want variables in the output data set but need them for calculations during the execution of the data set then drop them from the output.

data test2 (drop= econ_: ) ;

may be what your are looking for.

Weihong
Calcite | Level 5

The real job envolved 1 million observation and 10 arrays, each array has a size of 5000. So by elimiating one array (econ, which is a random economic variable shared by all observations) helps to reduce the size dramatically. 'SAS help' provided me a solution (Please see 3. Re.) which is exactly what I mean to do.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation