BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
What is the best way using a data set to append data to an existing data set?

If I have
table A
NAME AGE
Bob 33
Fred 40

now I want to add all the rows from a different data set into table A.

table B
NAME AGE
William 74
Dan 29

After append/insert

table A
NAME AGE
Bob 33
Fred 40
William 74
Dan 29
13 REPLIES 13
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
One approach is to use a DATA step and a SET statement with the two files specified on the SET.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Scott,
That works but my column names have to match up and they don't. Do I have to do a rename on the columns that don't? Is there a different way to do it or is this the cleanest and fastest way?

thank you again for your help

Jerry
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
You'll want to validate your input tables using PROC CONTENTS, and then use RENAME= on the SET statement when combining your files.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
sql union operator without CORRESPONDING may be able to achieve what you want, but if the internal (varnum) order is not going to line up the variables as you want, then you'll need to list the columns of one table in the order you need to line up with the other table.
And, of course, you probably need the ALL option of UNION. See
http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/proc/61895/HTML/default/a002473694.htm .

good luck

PeterC
deleted_user
Not applicable
Peter thanks for the reply but I can't use proc sql it has to be a data step.
Scott I did the following to get around it
In one data table I had a column defined as character and the table i'm joining too has it as numeric so I had to do this to get around it and it works.

data temp ;
set temp2 ;
idnumeric = input(id,best.) ;
rename id=idchar ;
rename idnumeric = id ;
run ;

Thank you
Jerry
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Jerry

why can't you use PROC SQL for this problem ?

PeterC
deleted_user
Not applicable
Boss wants data steps only. Since i'm new he says it will help me learn more about sas.
GertNissen
Barite | Level 11
Don't use datasteps for appending data sets - It will read every record from both datasets making it a very slow proces. It requires that your datatypes are the same - or look at the FORCE option.

[pre]data table_B;
input NxME $ xGE;
datalines;
William 74
Dan 29
;run;

data table_A;
input NAME $ AGE;
datalines;
Bob 33
Fred 40
;run;

proc append
data=table_b(rename=(nxme=name xge=age))
base=table_a;
run;[/pre]
deleted_user
Not applicable
Yep, if your boss wants you to learn more about programming efficiently then he'll be looking for proc append.
deleted_user
Not applicable
pznew,
Thanks for the tip. I finally got it working in a data step, but I want to try the append.

Thanks
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Well, PROC APPEND is not a data step...

To be able to rename columns with proc append, you need to use the rename data set option, otherwise you'll loose data.

I like the syntax of SQL better for this case, the select clause of the insert statement lets you list which columns to insert, and is does not care for names, just position and data type.

And is almost as efficient as append.

/Linus

Data never sleeps
Eva
Quartz | Level 8 Eva
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Zineg,

thanx for the performance advice regarding proc append/data step. I always use proc append but never had a thought on whether it was faster that the data step solution 🙂

Best wishes

Eva

Hima
Obsidian | Level 7

PROC APPEND BASE = TABLEA DATA=TABLEB;

RUN;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 7 in conversation