BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Bal23
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I have saw many questions similar but after read those posts I still need to ask.

My question:

there is a variable has around 100 values, from 8, 9, 111, 23, 456,457, ab1, ac2, abc9, d388, q34, s789, etc

I want to sort it to a way that I feel comfortable with, that is, it should sfirst start with, 8, then 9, then 23... then ab1, ac2, then d388...

the rule would be:

if all are numbers, the order should be from small to big, that is, 8 should be listed before 111;

those with letters will be after the numbers, and in the order with alphabit order, that is, after these numbers, ab1 should be first,

but even I sort it, it still lists 111 before 8. I then realize it might be because sas considers 1 is small then 8.

I thought I could add leading zero, I do not know how to do this becasue it is a mixture of numeric and alpha.

Thank you in advance for your advice and time!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Proc Sort has built-in features just what you want:

data have;
infile cards dlm=',';
input var$ @@;
cards;
 8, 9, 111, 23, 456,457, ab1, ac2, abc9, d388, q34, s789,etc
 ;

proc sort data=have out=want sortseq=linguistic(NUMERIC_COLLATION=on) ;
 by var;
 run;

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You could use the ANYALPHA function to determine if the text has alphabetic characters or not. If there are no alphabetic characters, then you can concatenate zeros in front of the numeric.

--
Paige Miller
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Proc Sort has built-in features just what you want:

data have;
infile cards dlm=',';
input var$ @@;
cards;
 8, 9, 111, 23, 456,457, ab1, ac2, abc9, d388, q34, s789,etc
 ;

proc sort data=have out=want sortseq=linguistic(NUMERIC_COLLATION=on) ;
 by var;
 run;
Astounding
PROC Star

If it's acceptable to add a variable just for sorting purposes, this might be easier than adding leading zeros:

if input(varname, ??8.) > . then sorting_var = right(varname);

else sorting_var = varname;

Then sort by SORTING_VAR instead of by the original variable name.

ErikLund_Jensen
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
You have numeric values and character values mixed in one variable, which means that the data type of the variable is char, and in sorting SAS does not see the numeric values as numbers, but sort them as strings. you can get the wanted result by splitting the variable in 2, the first a string variable with (or without) the letters, and the second a numeric variable with the numbers, and then sort by both. there are many methods for doing that, one is the following; data have; input value $char8.; datalines; ab1 8 111 d388 9 456 23 abc9 457 ac2 ; data wrk; set have; length c $8 n $8; c = prxchange('s/(\D*)(\d*)/$1/',-1,trim(value)); n = input(prxchange('s/(\D*)(\d*)/$2/',-1,trim(value)),8.); run; proc sort data=wrk out=want(drop=c n); by c n; run; data _null_; set want; put value; run; Result: 8 9 23 111 456 457 ab1 abc9 ac2 d388
ErikLund_Jensen
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Sorry the formatting was so bad.

data have;

input value $char8.;

datalines;

ab1

d388

abc9

ac2

;

data wrk; set have;

length c $8 n $8;

c = prxchange('s/(\D*)(\d*)/$1/',-1,trim(value));

n = input(prxchange('s/(\D*)(\d*)/$2/',-1,trim(value)),8.);

run;

proc sort data=wrk out=want(drop=c n); by c n;

run;

data _null_; set want; put value;

run;

Result:

ab1
abc9
ac2
d388

ballardw
Super User

Look up the PROC Sort options SORTSEQ with LINGUISTIC options. Learning that proc sort has these options may save you many problems in the future so I'm not providing an example.

Note that AFAIK only Proc Sort will create the order properly (though if you have mixed case letters there are still issues). Other procedures that produce output may or maynot maintain your desired order.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 6 in conversation