BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DanD999
Quartz | Level 8

I have two questions. Question one is if there is a better way to add a totals row to the data. I originally wanted to do it in a data step but couldn't figure out how to do it. Question two is about the last data step. When I put the totals1 and detail1 datasets together, originally I had detail1 listed first like "set detail1 totals1;" but when I did that it kept dropping the "a" in the sort column for the rows in the totals dataset. I thought it was because in the detail1 dataset that came first the sort column was only 1 character so it made the sort column 1 character which cut off the "a" when it started processing the totals1 dataset. So, I tried using the "length" statement but it didn't make any difference. I finally listed the totals1 dataset first and it worked. How could I have done it so that the "a" wasn't dropped?

data have;
input @1 h_id 1. @3 p_code $5. @9 a_u 1. @11 r_u 1. @14 start_date mmddyy10. @24  end_date mmddyy10. ;
format start_date end_date mmddyy10.;
cards;
1 J5563 2 4 03/17/2014 03/18/2014
2 J3363 4 2 03/18/2014 03/19/2014
1 J4789 2 6 03/19/2014 03/24/2014
3 J8434 2 2 03/20/2014 03/24/2014
3 J4444 5 5 03/21/2014 03/24/2014
1 J5563 3 1 03/24/2014 03/27/2014
;
run;

proc sql;
create table detail as
select *
from have
;
run;

proc sql;
create table totals as
select
  h_id,
  min(start_date) as start_date length=4 format=mmddyy10.,
  max(end_date) as end_date length=4 format=mmddyy10.,
  sum(a_u) as a_u,
  sum(r_u) as r_u
from detail
group by h_id
;
run;

data totals1;
set totals;
/* length sort $2;*/
p_code='636';
sort=put(h_id,9.)||'a';
run;

data detail1;
set detail;
/* length sort $2;*/
sort=put(h_id,9.);
run;

data combined;
set totals1 detail1;
/* length sort $2;*/
put _all_;
run;

proc sql;
create table combined1 as
select *
from combined
order by sort
;
run;

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User

This line sort=put(h_id,9.); creates a variable that is 9 characters long. When the value of h_id is one digit you have 8 leading spaces.
sort=put(h_id,9.)||'a'; creates a variable 10 characters long, same as above but adds one for the 'a'.

this will address the specific issue. You want the overriding LENGTH statement before the set so everything gets brought into the data with that property.

data combined;

length sort $ 10 ;

set detail1 totals1;

put _all_;

run;

If you don't want the leading blanks use:

sort = strip(put(h_id,9.));

and

sort=cats(put(h_id,9.),'a'); or ignore the put and just use h_id which will be converted to character using the BEST format.

Steelers_In_DC
Barite | Level 11

for the length issue this will fix it:

data combined;

length sort $10.;

set detail1 totals1;

put _all_;

run;

DanD999
Quartz | Level 8

Mark Johnson wrote:

for the length issue this will fix it:

data combined;

length sort $10.;

set detail1 totals1;

put _all_;

run;

Thanks.

Steelers_In_DC
Barite | Level 11

for the total question I'm not sure I understand what you are looking for, try this and see if this is what you want.  Sum without group by:

proc sql;

select *,sum(a_u) as sum_au,sum(r_u) as sum_ru

from combined

order by sort

;

run;

DanD999
Quartz | Level 8

Mark Johnson wrote:

for the total question I'm not sure I understand what you are looking for, try this and see if this is what you want.  Sum without group by:

proc sql;

select *,sum(a_u) as sum_au,sum(r_u) as sum_ru

from combined

order by sort

;

run;

I think you did misunderstand me. If you run my code, it produces the result that I want. I was wondering if there is a better or more efficient way to get to the same result. Specifically I was wondering if it's possible to do it all in a data step. Thanks for the reply.

sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Consider SAS PROC SUMMARY if you must add total (by GROUP var) row - automatically generated for you, and it can handle SUM, MIN, MAX as you are doing.

After summarization, look at sorting by _TYPE_ in descending order, filtering out _TYPE_=0 row.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation