BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
tediest
Calcite | Level 5

dear all, I am learning SAS macro for my research recently and confronted a macro problem which looks like simple, but has been bothering me for couple of days.

The original data set looks like as following

a b

1 3

2 5

3 10

I need to transform the data to this form

Code:

bc1 bc2 bc3

I tried to use the attached code to accomplish this, but I got

bca

My code is as following,

Code:

%MACRO varlist(i=,content=);

dc&i=&content;

%MEND varlist;

data test;

input a b;

cards;

1 3

2 5

3 10

;

run;

data test1(drop=a b);

set test;

%varlist(i=a,content=b);

run;

Someone told me that the bug is due to the variable a is numerical. However, when I let a be strings, like "apple", "orange" and "banana", I still have the some problem. I guess it won't be very complicate to solve this bug, but I am struck with it. Thanks for you helps!

11 REPLIES 11
mkeintz
PROC Star

data ab;

input a b;

datalines;

1 3

2 5

3 10

run;

data want;

array bc {3} bc1-bc3;

set ab;

bc{a}=b;

drop a b;

run;

You don't need macro for this.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

If you don't have to use macro, you can try the code below:

data test;

input a b;

cards;

1 3

2 5

3 10

;

run;

options missing=' ';

data want(keep=b1-b3);

set test;

array _b(*) b1-b3;

_b(a)=b;

run;

proc print;run;

options missing='.';

obs     b1    b2    b3

1      3

2            5

3                 10

tediest
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for you guys. This should solve me problem. Though I don't need macro now, I am still curious about why the macro does not work in the original code. Any hints?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Macro code just a code generation tool. In your case the macro generates DATA step code. THEN the data step runs.  So there is no way for the macro code to see much less react to changes in the value of variables inside of datasets.  In your example A and B are just text strings to the macro processor. 

tediest
Calcite | Level 5

If so, the values of B should not be passed to macro. In this case, only A is treated as string and B seems working well. That is something confusing me.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

But the VALUES of B were not passed to the macro.  The macro just generated the text "dca=b".  Because of where it was placed in the data step this was then interpreted by regular SAS as an assignment statement.

The same as if you just submitted the generated code without using the macro:

data test1(drop=a b);

set test;

dca=b;

run;

tediest
Calcite | Level 5

I see where it is wrong. Thanks a lot!

DanielSantos
Barite | Level 11

Tom's answer says pretty much all. I would just add this...

As said Macro SAS works mostly at compile time. That's where macro code/vars gets "solved".

So that's why there's no interaction with the run time phase, which comes next.

I say mostly, because you can actually "fiddle" with Macros at run time.

symput, symget, and other datastep macro functions allows you to manipulate Macro vars from the inside of the running datastep.

More on this here:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/mcrolref/61885/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a003167025.htm

Cheers from Portugal.

Daniel Santos @ www.cgd.pt

tediest
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Daniel, thanks for the extension. I realized this issue when I explored along Tom's hints.

mimi
Calcite | Level 5

Hi tediest,

I know Tom's answer solved your doubt. I am a newbie. Me too tried your code , you can get the result with the following code too.

data test;
input a b;
cards;
1 3
2 5
3 10
;
run;

proc transpose data = tst prefix= bc out =test1(drop= a _NAME_);
var b;
by a;
id a;
run;

proc print data = test1; run;

tediest
Calcite | Level 5

oh, this procedure is really handy. Thanks!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation